Wednesday, February 9, 2005

Israel-Palestine ceasefire pact

No need to get so excited about the news of Israel and Palestine deciding to end hostilities. A great development, of course. There has been many such agreements before. They have all collapsed. Perhaps the only difference now is that Yasser Arafat is not around. Mohd Abbas is known to be a moderate.

But the problems are going to crop up only when we come to the fine print. Especially on the status of Jerusalem. And, it is not so easy to disarm the terrorist groups. They need to save their face, one. And secondly, they have to be decently rehabilitated. The only other major terrorist campaign that has some what subsided is the IRA's. And, how difficult it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.