Sunday, December 10, 2006

Blogger Beta

When I first read about the features Blogger Beta had, I wanted to switch immediately. But I couldn't. It was unsettling to see new and smaller blogs being allowed to make the switch first. Apparently bigger blogs had to wait. Finally, my turn came, on Dec 8. That’s why my blog looks different now. The last two days I have been experimenting with the various features.

The beta version is better than the earlier one. Not only there are many more options, it is easier to change the layout, design, colour and fonts. There is also no need to publish repeatedly after these changes are effected. It’s good to see Blogger having labels like Wordpress. It was long due. It will take some time before I label all my 300+ posts. Hope to complete it soon.

The big drawback is, there are still not many templates to choose from. Also, there are limited changes we can make to the layout. Nevertheless, I think Blogger is the best bet for non-techies.

12 comments:

  1. Wordpress is even easier, they completely encapsulate code and other techie stuff from the user...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kishore.....:I have heard that... It's anyway good that there are now a variety of options for the users... I firmly believe that blogs are one BIG THING that has happened to the mass communication field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wordpress doesn't have many templates either - and they are far more difficult to play with!

    Pradeep what changes are you looking to make here?

    I'm still waiting for beta to let me move, i so want a private blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. new blogger is cool. yea they shd ve more templates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. San: Wordpress is difficult may be because it is high-end? Changes here?, well still discovering... like I have added to News feeds..

    Joseph, May be Blogger will look into this and give us more templates...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been very apprehensive, given that I made lots of customizations to my templates, hence I just migrated over to beta in terms of users, and kept my original templates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both blogger and wordpress (on a separate hosted service) have an incredibly large number of templates available. Just a simple search on google for blogger / wordpress temlates along with instructions on how to use them will be available

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashish: Thanks for this info that more templates can Googled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I am surprised to read that many of you were 'unable' to migrate to the beta. I switched to the beta version several months back without any problem.
    Of course, I faced some problems after that. I was unable to post to other (regular) Blogger blogs as I was in beta. I was able to post only to those blogs which were in beta.
    But now blogger has cleared the faults.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dinakaran: I think Blogger was shifting in stages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah I moved to beta :)

    woo hoo.

    Let me know if you need any help searching templates etc - I'm no pro but know a little bit

    ReplyDelete
  12. San: I am sure you are finding the beta better. Yea, I shall take your help for the templates.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.