Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Reasons for our likes and dislikes

Image courtesy:
Driver's Handbook
It is interesting to follow different strands of arguments. Someone has half a dozen reasons to do something. Someone else has half a dozen reasons to do something else.

Logic drives our actions, and we find a dozen reasons to justify why we are doing it.

A new logic makes us do something else. And we find another dozen reasons to justify that too.

HENRY AND RUBY

Henry and Ruby are discussing which car to buy. Henry likes Brand Z and Ruby likes Brand Y. He has his reasons. She has hers. Both aren't able to convince each other. Why?

Because the preference for the brand is preconceived, moulded by some logic, some reason, which both Henry and Ruby are holding firmly to.

It's not just with cars.

NORA AND LILY

Nora prefers to be single and has been ignoring the suggestions of her close friends and family on why she should get married. She has reasons to be single.

But every time her closest friend Lily manages to persuade her to give marriage a thought, Nora has her own reasons to say why all the guys A, B, C, D and E  are simply not the worth the trouble sharing her life with.

Lily is actually finding reasons to push her point of view. And Nora is finding reasons to stay single.

Will Henry ever like Brand Y and will Ruby ever like Brand Z?

Will Nora ever get married?

Not unlikely.

SO, WHAT HAPPENED?

One day, it finally dawns on Henry that his preferred car Brand Z is actually way too expensive and the financial jugglery, which he elaborately planned, will simply not work. He finds merits in Ruby's arguments. They both head to the showroom to buy Brand Y.

What about Nora? She gets married to William.

"William?" wonders Lily. "Why William?"

"Why not? I like him," says Nora. "Moreover, I am tired and bored of being alone. And there are so many other reasons why I thought I must get married."

9 comments:

  1. It's funny how we can feel quite strongly about something and then get swayed to an entirely different opinion due to circumstances. Look at me, I was sure I'd be working til my mid 60's and I'm retired at 57!
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pradeep - sometimes we simply don't want to be bothered with those types of choices ... time and tide tell! But there's no point in pushing someone to do something - until they're ready to make that decision ... or boring them silly by constantly 'demanding' they buy that car ... one hopes husbands and wives come along for the right decision - though I can't really say that in my case - then one just needs to escape and move on - I did. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are always reasons to change your mind. Although I'm not sure being tired of being alone is a good reason for marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have very strong likes and dislikes, and opinions. However over the years, and I think it's because I'm married now, I've become less fixed in my likes and dislikes, and I more easily change my mind/plan/ideas if my husband has something different in mind. I think I've realised that a lot of choices aren't really important - they're just the small things and it really doesn't matter if we choose Y or Z. Good thought provoking post, thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then there are the cognitive biases that influence us. If only we could keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pradeep, Nice to meet you through #MLSTL :) An interesting post. I often can see both sides of an argument, when I listen to others. My perspective is different if I am part of the decision making. Words that resonated with me "justify" and "preconceived."Thought-provoking post:) Erica (shared on SM)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how we can suddenly change our minds, isn't it? Thank goodness that's the case! I really enjoyed this post and it made me smile, Pradeep. I think we need to be ready to change, though, and it's rarely one individual who, makes us alter course; it's a combination of influences and circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Hi Leanne:
    Yes, our decisions change according to circumstances and new priorities.

    Hi Hilary:
    That's so right. One must respect other's priorities and sensitivities. One should never impose their views on others.

    Hi Oneil:
    When it comes to personal choices, like marriage, it's difficult to sometimes understand the reasons behind the choices. Probably, for some, marriage means companionship.

    Hi Cheryl,
    Glad you liked the post. Yes, sometimes we fret too much over choices, which when looked in a broad context doesn't really matter if it's one way or the other.

    Hi Liz:
    Yes, an open mind helps one make a more informed decision.

    Hi Erica:
    Glad you liked the post. I also tend to see multiple sides of an argument. But there are many who can't.

    Hi Vallypee:
    Yes, we must, when we have to change. There is no point in sticking the same argument when it is clear that there is no merit in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Nice to read the information here. The content of this post is very useful and informative.

    Logical Thinking Games

    Thanx!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.