Friday, May 28, 2021

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

What wasn't intended happens, and that leads the life of an ambitious journalist, Ellis Reed, on a totally unexpected track.

The setting of this historical novel is the post-depression US of 1931. 

Ellis had taken a picture of two children standing beside a signboard that read "Children for Sale". He took the photo because what he saw triggered memories of his own dark past.

The photo reaches his boss who finds the picture newsy because it was symbolic of post-depression life in the US. He wants Ellis to do a story. 

There is a hitch though. (I won't reveal that.) But Ellis finally manages to write the story, which moves the conscience of everyone who read it. Ellis's career takes off in a spectacular fashion. 

But just the opposite happens to the two children whose photo appeared along with Ellis's article. 

Overcome by guilt, he launches himself on a quest to find the two children. 

Along with him is Lillian Palmer, the editor's secretary, who is also looking to become a journalist. An unwed mother, she can relate to the predicament of the two children, and also to the plight of Ellis.

The novel is all about the efforts that Ellis and Lillian undertake to find these children. 

It's also about the life during those days; lives of children who are with a mom who can't support them versus children, who are separated from mothers, living with rich families.

Author Kristina McMorris was prompted to write this story after seeing an actual signboard of children up for sale.

I liked the way Kristina has weaved the plots in the novel and the poignant manner in which she has been able to bring out the emotions that tug at the hearts of people who are struggling to simply live.

Since the main protagonist is a journalist, there are a lot of historical newsroom scenes in the novel, which I found quite interesting.

At times, the narrative is a bit long-drawn-out, but I really liked the book.

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Hmm. Not sure this is one I would instinctively pick off the shelf... but I might have a browse now you've mentioned it! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - The book turned out to better than what I expected!

      Delete
  2. Sounds really interesting. Hopefully I'll find the time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful review. Will look for this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's something you might find interesting...

    https://www.thoughtco.com/the-orphan-train-movement-4843194

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - Thank you, so much, for sharing this lovely article. I had never heard about the Orphan Train project. A great initiative to provide hapless, innocent children a home that would take care of them and provide them a future.

      Delete
  6. That was an interesting book review and I hope you hare such reviews with us frequently. I read a great deal and I am always interested in recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie - Yes, I will try to post reviews of the books I read. My pace of reading is a bit slow owing to work commitments. Thanks, and take care.

      Delete
  7. Hi Pradeep - thanks for highlighting this for us - it does sound an interesting read. Stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.