Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Queue-jumping

Image courtesy: Pixabay

The post A Page from the Past by SG reminded me of an incident at a small neighbourhood store near my home. But before that, let me give you some context.

In India, while in big department stores customers queue up while checking out, in smaller shops, where customers ask an employee to get them what they want, there is no queue system.

The pandemic brought in some change, and customers queued up keeping some distance between one another. But then if there are just two or three people, they stand one beside the other, trying to get the attention of the storekeeper and be done with the shopping as soon as possible.   

So, when a new customer comes, the shopkeeper would ask him what he wants, even while the other customers are being attended to. Thus, some people, who have many items to be bought, end up being overtaken by customers who have just one or two articles to be purchased.

ONE VIEW

If you are wondering why the shopkeeper is allowing some people to jump the queue, he has a reason: why should someone who has just one item to be purchased be forced to wait until everyone who came before him (who probably might have many items in the purchase list) finished their shopping? 

Also, the shopkeeper risks losing such customers, who have just a single item to be bought; they might just move to another shop.

THE OTHER VIEW

How much ever logical that sounds, I remember my father, who was a stickler for discipline, hating this system. Even if he had just one item to be purchased, he would refuse to be attended to before people who came before him were. 

I have seen shopkeepers, finding that very odd. But then, that's how my father was, and because of this what he called "an unfair" system, he used to avoid such stores or shop at off-peak hours or go to a bigger department store where there is a queue system.

My father too had a reason, which we would understand if we are the ones who had to wait for a long time to go through our shopping because we were overtaken by a few others who came later. 

A bit of that trait has rubbed off on me as well. I get irritated when others jump the queue, or they are allowed to jump the queue. And, I feel guilty when I am allowed to jump the queue.

MULTITASKING AT ITS BEST

Recently, at home, we ran out of tea leaves. So, on my way back from the morning walk, I was at one of those smaller neighbourhood shops.

The shopkeeper, as usual, asked me what I wanted. But there was one other person already making some purchase. So, I told the shopkeeper to finish whatever he was doing. 

But then, he told me that the customer had four or five items and it would take some time. I said it's okay. Then the shopkeeper asked me again what I wanted. 

It didn't make sense anymore not to tell him what I wanted, or I should have left the shop. So I told him I needed a packet of tea leaves. And even while he was getting something for the other gentleman, he got me my packet. Multitasking at its best.

Though I felt bad about this queue-jumping, I sort of consoled myself that the person ahead of me didn't suffer any delay, since the shopkeeper was quite efficient, serving us both simultaneously.

29 comments:

  1. Hi Pradeep - I understand ... I hate queuing at the best of times. I often let someone with one item go ahead of me ... and am grateful when it happens in reverse ... I always smile and say 'thank you'.

    Your shopkeeper certainly seemed efficient ... and as long as no bad vibes were left ... I guess it's the right way to go.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - Yes indeed, if someone is in a hurry, I do let them get ahead of me. And I am thankful if that favour is shown to me as well. But the problem is when there is an air of indifference and customers are ignored. Usually, the store managers are good at handling the customers well. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Entertaining - and yet quite a serious matter for some! Here it is very much by the queue and even in small venues, where it is necessary to wait even to go inside, due to restriction... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Yes. It's got to do with the local custom too, I guess.

      Delete
  3. I do see both sides of the issue. On one hand, it's fair for it to be first come, first served. On the other, should someone with one item really have to wait for someone with many items? I suppose it's up to the shopkeeper to decide what's best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's got a lot to do with the particular situation as well. As long as all are happy, it should be fine.

      Delete
    2. You are right. It has everything to do with the particular situation. If it is one item, I see no harm if they are invited to pay and leave.

      Delete
  4. Fun practice! I hate when pepole jump the queue too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t mind giving up my place in the line for someone who is in a hurry. But I hate those people, who are legend in their own mind, go straight to the counter ignoring people who are waiting in line.
    My pet peeve in small stores in USA is the cashier starts to answer the phone and takes telephone orders ignoring people in the line. If they were in person, they would be waiting in line. But I don’t blame the customer because they are not aware how many people are in line in the store. I would blame the store cashier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rajan, that can be quite irritating. Here too such things happen. Like, the cashier would be merrily talking to someone ignoring people who are waiting in the queue. 

      Delete
  6. It shouldn't matter if someone has more to purchase than others. I mean, sometimes that person will see someone behind them that has one item and lets them go ahead, but if you have a lot of stuff, you may get stuck waiting a long time if it gets busy. But, the workers do what they need to at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ... It's also a lot about the particular situation and one does what serves everyone well.Thanks.

      Delete
  7. When I go to a shop (or any other place) where there is a large queue, I simply return and go back at some other time. Sometimes, this is not possible - like festival days at Temples. So I avoid going in the first place ;)

    Destination Infinity
    PS: Some people are proud of their skills at getting ahead of the line by force or tact. I am not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh - Even I am not quite comfortable with chaotic crowds.

      Delete
  8. I stay in Singapore and people here are very disciplined when it comes to queueing. I understand it can be annoying when someone jumps the queue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayashree - Singapore is renowned for the discipline of its citizens.

      Delete
  9. I have stories to tell that just make me sound like a hater of certain peoples. ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - Hmmm ... Ya, things can at times be bad.

      Delete
    2. Oh Darla, I am with you there...my stories however are more like encountering certain folks in the story while walking around shopping, usually has to do with cell phones!

      Delete
  10. I've had the experience of few people jumping queues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachna - Good to see you here :-) Thanks for the comments. Strangely, your comment didn't show up in my email!

      Delete
  11. Hello from Idaho and stop in from "Law of Gravity" hope all is well.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dora - Thank you so much for stopping by and for your comments.
      Glad to see someone writing in from Idaho. From my limited understanding, it's a beautiful, mountainous state.
      All well here, thanks. Just tied up with lots of office work, not leaving any time for blogging nor checking blogs. I have bookmarked your blog and will surely check it out soon.
      Do take are.

      Delete
  12. Queue Jumping....we do not have that in Nashville TN. My thoughts however are....I don't care if I have one item, or two or a buggy full, if I am in line to pay (we gather our own things) then I am there and unless I chose to let someone with less items in front of me, it is my turn to pay. My time is just as important as that person that just ran in for one item. I understand the shop keeper wanting to tend to them and keep that customer but I also, as a customer am important and to keep my business he/she should check me out. As for people jumping, I really have not had that issue in many years, but the one time someone tried to get in line ahead of others, including me I nicely told them the line was in the back. Once I spoke up others joined in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam - Thank you so much for dropping by and for your comments.
      My view is quite similar to yours.
      Here the problem is more prevalent in smaller shops rather than in large department stores.
      Take care.

      Delete
  13. Ha, yes, Pradeep, I hate queue jumping too, but I will happily let someone with just a couple of items go ahead of me if I have a big load of shopping to pay for. I just don’t want them to expect to go ahead :) I sympathise with both sides and with your father, but as long as it’s all handled with respect and courtesy, and no expectation of favour, then it’s fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - My view on this, is similar to yours. I guess as long as everyone understands the situation, there shouldn't a problem.
      Take care.

      Delete
  14. I'm quite a stickler for queues too and the one item thing makes no sense to me. But sometimes, I allow someone who is behind me with one item and hasn't asked to jump the queue to go ahead of me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne - It's a lot about being organised than anything else. Thanks.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.