Monday, September 19, 2022

So long!




Majestic and ceremonial. Dignified and elegant. Calm and solemn.

That's what the nearly 8-hour-long funeral and the last journey of Queen Elizabeth II was.

Something that I didn't want to miss; I saw the whole of it on the YouTube channel of Sky News.

My admiration for the queen grew multi-fold after I watched the Netflix series The Crown.

It's not just about the royal title of Queen. It's also about Elizabeth II as an individual, and as a woman.

There wasn't, and quite unlikely there will be, a monarch like her. 

She was pitchforked to the pinnacle of royalty at the young age of 25 in 1952. 

Look at how the world changed during the 70 years since then. 

While Britain and the world, battled one crisis after another, there she was, as a constant steadying influence and a source of reassurance and comfort for the UK and Commonwealth.

For everyone else, she was an inspiration, someone who personified admirable individual traits like commitment, sincerity, hard work, wisdom, equanimity, grace, poise, dignity, etc.

It's also interesting that in the UK, there was a change of guard within a span of few days, both in the government and the monarchy.

A new head of government. A new head of state. 

I am sure there will be changes in the months and years to come.

(Image courtesy: BBC)

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    It is important to note that our government did NOT change... our PM did and thus the cabinet. But it is still a right-leaning Conservative government.

    I did not subject myself to the onslaught of regalia today. Listened to some good podcasts, though... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pradeep - I too watched most of it - and you've encapsulated the day for me here ... though Yam is correct - it was only our Prime Minister changing ...

    Life is challenging for us here in the UK - too much change, too little thought about those at the bottom of the pile ... I now 'hope' ... thanks for this - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pradeep - I didn't watch it all - just all the highlights on various Youtube sites. The dignity and grace and pomp and elegance was so impressive. I love how the marching and procession looked - especially from above. It was a very appropriate send off for a woman who gave above and beyond expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Pradeep. She will be much missed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes.... let us hope that there will be changes in the months and years to come

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help thinking she has reunited with her beloved Prince. My occasional romantic sappiness surprised me. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even I started watching The Crown recently, there's just so much history that we dont know about

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a story to Sell.
    One Girl in Mumbai attempts to kill her Father.
    Father Survives.
    How she did that, From where she bought Poison and How she Contacted Contract Killers and How Much Money She spent for all this.
    All Evidences and Proofs are available.
    A Real Incident.
    Mail me
    lionkingindia@protonmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t manage to see the funeral, Pradeep, but I have heard it was very moving and beautifully arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Queen's presence meant a lot. She has given steady leadership over the years.
    Now, there's time for change.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.