Friday, September 2, 2022

Munnar trip - 1

My friend from New Castle in North East England, Henry, arrived in Bengaluru on August 31, that's day before yesterday. 

It was good to see him again. The last time he was in India was in Sept 2015.

He was my father's colleague teaching chemistry in school from 1967 to 1969. We have been family friends ever since. He keeps coming to India every two or three years. 

Every time he comes to India, he visits us, and we go on a tour to some nearby place. He is a passionate mountaineer, and climbs a peak in the Himalayas as well before returning home.

This time, we decided to go to Munnar in Idukki district of Kerala. Its in the Western Ghats mountain range and is known for its tea plantations and trekking trails.

Yesterday evening 7.45 pm, we left Bengaluru by train and reached Aluva around 5 45 am today. We boarded a bus to Munnar around 6.30 am and reached here around 10.30 am. 

This is not typically a time when it rains. But weather as we all know has been very unpredictable of late. Though it was sunny in the morning when we arrived, it rained rather heavily in the afternoon. 

When the sky cleared, we stepped out for a walk and went up to the Rose Garden just about 650 metres from the hotel where we are staying. It houses a wide variety of flora. One can also buy saplings.

We then went to meet a friend who teaches in a school here. We had a short walkabout, and then we went to the Mattupetty Dam. Because the rains, some shutters had been opened, and both the reservoir as well as the water gushing out were sights to behold.

Hoping to explore other areas of this enormously beautiful place tomorrow. 





9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    It is indeed beautiful - and I am sure that having a dear friend to show it to magnified that! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. It's nice to see old friends and get out and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second photo is very atmospheric. It looks like a very attractive area and reminds me of the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia, also a tea growing area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pradeep - what fun to have your friend with you. What a beautiful area the Ghats appears to be ... while the Rose Garden must be amazing - the scents ...

    Lots of water as you say - I hope not too too much ... just enjoy yourselves - thanks for updating us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have had a family friend for so many decades Pradeep. I bet the two of you had a wonderful time catching up with each other in between checking out all the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! A good friend from my Middle School days lives in Bengaluru, and I hope to get there for a visit sometime. It's good to have ideas of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to Munnar a couple of times before and I loved it. Enjoy your stay :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Munnar is a beautiful place. Enjoy with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally had time to look up Nilgiri Tahr. What beautiful creatures! I'm just sorry no tourists got to enjoy the rare bloom time. What a sight that must be. I'm so glad you got to reunite with friends.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.