Saturday, April 8, 2023

H for Hydrogen peroxide

This is the eighth in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry.

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the chemicals that I have been familiar with right from childhood. 

My father was a chemistry teacher (that's one main reason for my interest in chemistry), and at home, we had a bottle of diluted hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant.

It is a compound which contains two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms and has a chemical formula of H2O2.  

It's a pale blue liquid at room temperature and is slightly more viscous than water. It boils at 150 degrees C (302 degrees F)

It is important to note that hydrogen peroxide is a toxic chemical and should be used with caution.

It can cause skin irritation and burns if not diluted properly. 

It has wide applications in our daily life. But most of its applications are in a diluted form. How much it has to be diluted depends on where and how it's used. 

Hydrogen peroxide is used as a disinfectant in the medical industry, food industry, and laboratory settings. 

In the food industry, hydrogen peroxide is used to kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi from food processing equipment and surfaces. 

It is also used in the production of cheese and other dairy products to prevent the growth of bacteria.

Hydrogen peroxide has industrial applications as well, for example, in the production of paper and textiles. 

In the paper industry, it's used to bleach and brighten paper products. 

It's used in the production of cotton and wool to remove impurities and enhance the appearance of the material. 

In the personal care industry also, hydrogen peroxide is used, for bleaching hair and teeth, besides in the treatment of skin inflammation. 

Hydrogen peroxide is a poisonous chemical, and ingesting it can lead to stomach pain, vomiting, and even death. 

So, it is essential to store and handle hydrogen peroxide properly under professional supervision to avoid any accidents or harm.

Image from Pixabay

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple, authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

27 comments:

  1. Great theme for this year, and very informative. I know very little about chemistry, so, thank you for sharing those posts!
    Enjoy the AtoZ challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frederique - Thank you. I will try my best to make it interesting. :-)

      Delete
  2. I studied chemistry is high school. It’s fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi songbird's crazy world - It's indeed an interesting subject. There is so much chemistry all around us!

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    I recall in my childhood one aunt getting her hair bleached and other aunties going on about the 'hydrox blonde'! Another informative post. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for very interesting post on Hydrogen Peroxide

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very interesting. I was never much interested in chemistry but you make it sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave - Thank you. I will try my best to make it interesting.

      Delete
  6. I thought you would never get to hairdressing, a use people of a certain age will best remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, it's used. However, a lot of it depends on how it's used!

      Delete
  7. I knew a girl in elementary school who used it to bleach her hair. She was going for blonde. It came out more brassy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have so many memories of having hydrogen peroxide poured on cuts and scrapes. It was my mom's go-to. She used it for everything.

    G is for Games Workshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gallant-King - Thank you. Yes, it's a good disinfectant.

      Delete
  9. It's also a bleaching agent, as I've learned to my detriment when cleaning products containing hydrogen peroxide have gotten on my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Fever - That was unfortunate. One has to be careful with chemicals, however useful they might be.

      Delete
  10. I didn't know hydrogen peroxide was used in the processing of cheese. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jabblog - Yes, it was a surprise to me as well!

      Delete
  11. Very interesting theme! I have 'met' peroxide as part of hair colouring treatments. It can be quite abrasive if not properly used. Good luck.wifh the AtoZ!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chemistry is undoubtedly interesting but it has always scared me specially organic chem. But these posts are indeed increasing the interest again. Good info. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pinkii - Thank you. Most students get scared because it's not taught in the correct way.

      Delete
  14. I grew up using hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant. My mom always put it on cuts and scrapes, and I loved watching it bubble as it cleaned the injury. I used it on my kids, too, but my son is now a physician and he said not to use it on wounds, because while it destroys any "bad" bacteria, it also destroys the "good" because it can't differentiate. He said to stick to an antibiotic ointment only, so no more watching the peroxide bubble! It does work well to get blood out of fabric, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use an ear wax cleanser that contains this element. In fact, another dose might be in order after my swimming session. lol And it's the one liquid I've learned not to shake, interestingly. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.