Monday, April 24, 2023

U for Uric acid

This is the 21st in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry. 

Uranium was the obvious choice. But I thought of doing uric acid because it's far closer to our daily lives. 

Like cholesterol, this is a chemical that's present in our bodies. Its formula is C5H4N4O3

Uric acid is formed when the body breaks down substances called purines.

Purines are a type of organic molecule that is found in our DNA and RNA. They are either made in the body by natural processes, or we get them from food.

Foods like meat, seafood, beans, and beer have purines.

When purines are broken down, uric acid is formed. 

Does uric acid have any use? I am not quite sure.

Like cholesterol, it's known more for the harm it does to the body than for any possible use.

Uric acid dissolves in blood and is expelled from our bodies by the kidneys through urine.

But in certain conditions, it can form crystals and salts.

Too much uric acid can cause problems such as gout, kidney stones, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.

Usually, a regular health check-up shows the amount of uric acid, and it's important to keep it at a healthy level.

Common advice that's given by doctors to keep it in check is to reduce intake of food that has a high level of purines, drink a lot of water, and exercise regularly.

_________________________

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.




8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Having known three people with gout, trying to explain to them the dietary changes that could help, found that they'd rather suffer than sacrifice! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Diet plays an important role in our health.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pradeep - well this was an interesting choice for the letter U - I've been more aware of all things "uric" since my calcium levels increased due to my increased PTH. The last thing I want is kidney stones - so I'm working on getting things sorted asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting one. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better choice than uranium....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not realize it didn't all come from food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to avoid beer and other alcohol beverages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to exercise more as in past years. Your informative posts are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.