Monday, April 17, 2023

O for Osmium

This is the 15th in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry. 

Very few of us write on paper with a pencil or a pen. Fewer still write with a fountain pen.

As children, we all started writing with pencils. In middle school, we began using fountain pens.

We were dissuaded from using a biro or a ballpoint pen because our parents and teachers said we would spoil our handwriting. Only the elders used such pens.

The quality of a fountain pen depended on how good the nib was. 

The nib is usually made of stainless steel or gold. 

But it needs a hard and smooth material at the tip, so that it lasts longer at the same time, improves the writing experience. To achieve that objective, the chemical element osmium is added to the material.

Though osmium nibs offer a consistent and smooth writing experience for many years, the element is very expensive and scarce. So, it is not widely used nowadays.    

Osmium is a chemical element with the symbol Os and atomic number 76. 

It has a very high melting point of 3,033 degrees Celsius, which is higher than that of most metals. 

Osmium alloys are also used for making electrical contacts, spark plugs, surgical instruments, etc. 

Osmium emits X-rays when bombarded with electrons. So, it is also used to produce high-resolution images of bones, tissues and organs.

_________________________

Fountain pen image from Pixabay

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple, authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, fountain pens. I have never used one. We went from pencils to ball points. You have to go out of your way here to find a fountain pen (and I don't think any of us would know how to work one, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's rare nowadays, though a colleague of mine uses it at work.

      Delete
  2. My wife received a fountain pen as a gift recently. Now we will be familiar with osmium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomi - Fountain pen is indeed a good gift.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    I have had so many fountain pens over the years - but never knew about the Osmium at their tips! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yami - A good example of how little-known elements are a part of our daily lives.

      Delete
  4. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    I could never have handled using a fountain pen. Or a pencil that where you have to place those thin things inside. Too much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie - Yes, fountain pens can be a hassle. Especially, filling the ink part.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid fountain pens did not improve my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, now, with computers and very little actual writing, my handwriting has gone from bad to worse!

      Delete
  6. The fountain pen made you feel like a royal. The entire upkeep of it...from filling in the ink, having a separate case for it..memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Careena - Yes, indeed, it was a whole long process. All in memories now!

      Delete
  7. I have a fine collection of fountain pens and it is one of the joys of life to use one every day. My handwriting, however, is execrable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very nice that you have fountain pens. I had one, which I used to write with. But no longer. I use the ball pen. Needless to say, ever since I began using the computer for all writing purposes, my handwriting has gone bad!

      Delete
  8. Have used fountain pens for long time, and still is my favourite, though used less. Thanks for this piece of knowledge... Interesting! 766/77

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pradeep - This was a surprise! Thanks for dropping by. And thanks for leaving your roll number. Or else, I would have been clueless as to whose comment it was.

      Delete
  9. Fascinating! Another chemical I knew nothing about! Thank you, Pradeep!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow from fountain pens to organs, this is one versatile chemical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember, on the last day of school after final exams, splashing ink on the shirts of friends with fountain pens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve never used a fountain pen. I learned to write with a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Osmium is also not found naturally on earth. The only source of it is meteors. That's why it's so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting! I really appreciate this post as writing materials are my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.