Tuesday, April 25, 2023

V for Vitamins

This is the 22nd in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry. 

This is not about one element or one compound. It is about a group of organic compounds called vitamins that are made up of different elements, small amounts of which are essential for various metabolic processes, such as growth, development, immunity, and energy production.

Right from the time I was a child, my father used to give me vitamin supplements, B and C, on alternate days.

He believed in the need for supplements because he used to say that food alone doesn't provide us with the required quantity of vitamins. 

He was also influenced by the work of Nobel laureate and American biochemist Linus Pauling on the role of vitamin C in boosting the body's immunity against common respiratory infections like the common cold.

Having daily vitamin supplements is a habit I still have, and I have passed that on to my wife as well. We used to give them to my son, too, when he was with us, but now since he is away in another city, I am not sure if he is regular with them.

The breakout of Covid created an awareness of the need for immunity-boosting vitamins, and many people began having supplements.

Whether vitamin supplements are good or not is disputed, and not even all doctors and nutritionists agree. 

I have my doctor's approval for taking the vitamin supplements. Make sure you also have a physician's go-ahead before you start on them because excessive quantities of vitamins can be harmful.

DIFFERENT TYPES

There are 13 vitamins that are classified into two groups: fat-soluble and water-soluble.

Fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K. 

They can be stored in the body's fat tissue and liver for a long time. They help with vision, bone health, blood clotting, and antioxidant activity.

Water-soluble vitamins are B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12, and C. 

These are not stored in the body for a long time. They need to be replenished regularly through food or supplements. 

They help with energy production, nerve function, red blood cell formation, DNA synthesis, and collagen production.

Vitamins are found in fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy products, meat, eggs, and fish. Some can also be synthesized by the body. 

Vitamin deficiencies can cause various health problems, such as anaemia, scurvy, rickets, night blindness, and beriberi.

_________________________

Image of fruit from Pixabay

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.




10 comments:

  1. Hi Pradeep - we certainly had vitamins when I was growing up after the War - but we've always eaten well and been very lucky in that respect ... so I don't add vitamins to my life. I still eat as fresh, and mix and match all types of food - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Excellent choice for the letter V! It is so true that many folk forget that vitamins need balance just like any other thing in our body and that too much can be as detrimental as too little of anything. I used always to boost, but the habit has fallen away little of late. Must correct that! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info on vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A useful and interesting post, Pradeep. I am also a supplement taker. I use Omega 3, magnesium and B12 regularly, and vitamin C when I get the sniffles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess your only other option for V would be Vanadium, and vitamins are a bit more relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, Pauling and the mega doses of vitamin C. I remember learning about that in college, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative. Indeed vitamins are micro nutrients which we require in small quantities and suppliments of B vitamins will not harm much as it gets dissolved in water and execess of it can move out of our body where as fat-soluble vitamins remains in our fats and gets accumulated. That is harmful. So we need to know the recommended daily allowances of those vitamins. I searched a lot your posts but could not find on my blog rolls lists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vitamins are fascinating, if often confusing as to dosage. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the A to Z road Trip. I am also participating in the road trip. I remember seeing some of your posts during the challenge, but by the time that V rolled along I was no longer looking at other peoples blogs. I will look at some more of your posts and make some more comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from roadtrip. These days vitamin B12 is in the discussions. As we are able to supplement a shortage, lot of promotion is done to make people aware and use it and solve the problem.

    Narayana Rao's Handbook of Industrial Engineering Knowledge - Lessons. 365+ Lessons and 75+ Case Studies.
    https://nraoiekc.blogspot.com/2023/04/narayana-raos-handbook-of-industrial.html

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.