Tuesday, April 11, 2023

J for Jodium

This is the tenth in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry.
Before you wonder what is jodium, it's not an English word.

I had to break the rule of this Challenge since I couldn't find a chemical element or a compound that begins with the English letter J.  

I looked at other languages, and I stumbled upon this Dutch word that begins with the alphabet J. 

Jodium means iodine, and the word is pronounced 'yodium'.

The chemical symbol of iodine is I, and its atomic number 53.

It is a non-metallic, nearly black solid at room temperature and has a glittering crystalline appearance. 

It melts to form a deep violet liquid at 114 °C (237 °F), and boils to a violet gas at 184 °C (363 °F). 

Iodine is one of six halogens. Halogen is a non-metallic element that is highly reactive. The other five are fluorine, chlorine, bromine, astatine, and tennessine.

The word halogen comes from the Greek hal- (salt) and -gen (to produce) because they all react with metals to form salts. Sodium chloride or table salt is the most common of all. 

Iodine is important for the health of the thyroid gland, which secretes a hormone also called the thyroid that regulates our metabolism. 

The iodine that we need is obtained from food like iodized salt, seafood, dairy products and some vegetables.

Iodine deficiency can cause goitre, cretinism and hypothyroidism, which are disorders that affect the thyroid gland and its functions. 

Iodine excess can also cause problems, such as hyperthyroidism, thyroiditis and iodism, which are characterized by symptoms such as nervousness, weight loss, skin rash and metallic taste.

Among the other uses of iodine are in diagnostic radiology and as a disinfectant.

Images from Britannica

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple, authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.



13 comments:

  1. In Dutch language, J pronounced Y? In a few other languages also written and pronounced are different. For Example, in Spanish language, J is pronounced H (in a few circumstances). San Jose is pronounced San Hose. Jesus is Hesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the names of some European politicians and sportspersons, I have learnt that some letters are pronounced differently.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    LOL - I did wonder if you would get around the lack of J in the elemental table this way! In all Nordic languges the j is pronounced softly as 'y' and thus Iodium has that spelling for them. So it may be said that Iodium is also the cure for alphbetalbinism - the lack of a letter! YAM xxi

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Js in the periodic table? That tracks. There's always a letter or two you have to "cheat" on, especially when doing a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh I would have thought there would be 1 element in the periodic table with J. But loved the loophole you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suchita - I was lucky to chance upon this word.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering what you were going to do for J since it's weirdly absent in compound names. I and J started off as the same letter, so this works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ​I was wondering what to do, and then I chanced upon Jodium.

      Delete
  6. I did wonder why I'd never heard of Jodium! I'm relieved to know that I hadn't missed some important element after all.
    https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2023/04/jung-juvenile.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had friends whose parents put iodine on wounds. I'm glad my mom used peroxide instead (even though my son has now said don't use that, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your delving into Dutch is awesome. We need more intelligent people like you in this world. Blessings, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.