Saturday, April 15, 2023

N for Neodymium

This is the 14th in the series of 26 posts this month, one post a day, barring four Sundays, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry.

Eyeglasses. Sunglasses. Purple or pink-coloured glasses. Glasses that can filter out infrared and ultraviolet light. Camera lenses. Welding goggles.

Well, all these have a chemical called neodymium.

Different types of such glasses, spectacles, and shades are made by adding small amounts of neodymium to other materials.

Didymium glasses
Didymium is a mixture of the elements, praseodymium and neodymium.

Neodymium-doped glass can change its colour depending on the light source. It can appear blue under daylight and purple under fluorescent light. 

Neodymium-iron-boron glass can be used for making magnifying glasses and optical filters.

Neodymium lasers produce infrared light that can be converted to visible light by using other materials. 

The element also finds use in the manufacture of artistic jewellery. 

Neodymium has the chemical symbol Nd, and its atomic number is 60. 

This belongs to the series called lanthanides, about which I wrote on the 13th.

Neodymium was discovered in 1885 by Carl Auer von Welsbach, who named it after the Greek words neos didymos meaning new twin because it was separated from another element called praseodymium.

Neodymium is a silvery-white metal that tarnishes quickly in air and moisture. 

It has a high melting point of 1,016°C and a boiling point of 3,074°C. It is a hard and slightly malleable metal. 

Besides its use in glassware, Neodymium finds application in the making of magnets. Neodymium magnets are the strongest permanent magnets known and are used in many devices such as headphones, speakers, motors, generators, hard disk drives, and MRI machines.

______________________

Didymium glasses image from Wikipedia

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple, authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

15 comments:

  1. I am always learning something new from your posts

    Exchanging A to Z visits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that is what makes my glasses go darker when I step out into the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, going by what I have read in science journals.

      Delete
  3. I am impressed, You know a lot of chemical names I never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, filtering ultraviolet light is so very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pradeep - I'll be back to read through all your entries - they sound fascinating and so informative. I've a book on chemistry here to read - must get to it sometime! It's great you're using your interest in chemistry for the A- Z - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fascinating to know how things are made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all these different used people have found for the different elements you are writing about, and I wonder how did they ever figure out to use this stuff? I'm going to guess there is a lot of trial and error!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for going through all my posts from A to N and keying in your comments.
      Very much appreciated.
      Science is quite complicated, and scientific experiments can be quite painstaking.
      At the same time, a number of scientific theories have a practical side to them, and once we figure that out, science can be quite interesting.

      Delete
  8. How interesting, Pradeep! I am now going to read your blogs backwards because I think you can teach me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val. Take your time, my posts aren't too long. So, it won't take much time.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.