Sunday, April 30, 2023

Z for Zinc

This is the last in the series of 26 posts this month, each on a theme corresponding to a letter of the English alphabet. 

My theme this year is "Chemicals in our life", spurred by my interest in chemistry.

For the last letter, I will go with this well-known element, which is not only critical for good health but also has many uses in medicine, industry and agriculture. 

The symbol is Zn, and the atomic number is 30. It has a bluish-white colour and a lustrous appearance. 

Zinc is brittle at room temperature but becomes malleable and ductile when heated. It has a high melting point of 419.5°C and a boiling point of 907°C.

It's important for immune system function. That's why for Covid, patients, at least here, were given multivitamin tablets containing zinc. 

Zinc deficiency can cause various problems, such as impaired taste, poor healing of wounds, hair loss, and skin infections.

Zinc is a component of many common alloys like brass and bronze. Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, while bronze is an alloy of zinc, copper and tin. 

It is also used to make batteries, cosmetics, paints, etc.

Zinc helps plants grow and resist diseases, and it is added to fertilizers to improve crop yield and quality.

_________________________

The information provided in this post has been obtained from multiple authentic resources. However, it is presented in an abridged format and might not have all the details. Therefore, before acting on any information, readers are requested to exercise caution and do further research.

This post is a part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    Very important. Where would we be without zinc?
    You did a great A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for successfully completing another year of A2Z April Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lozenges with zinc in them that I take when I feel a cold coming on. I don't know if they help, but I don't always get the full blown cold if I take them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.