Tuesday, December 13, 2022

In search of "The Drunken Butterfly"

A couple of days ago, while scrolling through Google Photos on my mobile, I found a video that I had saved long ago. 

It's an exercise sequence. 

In the video, which is around six-and-half minutes long, you will find the same exercise sequence repeated by nine persons in nine different settings. 


I recalled that it was sent to me by someone on WhatsApp during the Covid days. Since I had liked it, I had saved it in my Google Photos.

When I found this video a couple of days ago, I was quite curious as to what the song is, from which country it is, and also if this is any popular exercise sequence or dance form.

The only clue were some words, probably Chinese, superimposed on the video.

I gave an image search on Google to see if this video already existed on the Internet. But I couldn't find any results.

In order to know what the words are, and also to understand more about the image, I used Google Lens

The words are Chinese, and the Lens app threw up translations like: Look at the numbers - Lesson dance - Drunk butterfly.

That was some progress!

Encouraged by that, I gave a Google search for 'Drunk butterfly'.

On Spotify, I found an album "Drunk Butterfly" and a song "Drunken Butterfly" by Sonic Youth an American rock band.

I also found, images of, obviously, butterflies. 

The search also threw up images of plants and flowers.

I then refined the search as "drunk butterfly exercise".

Then I got videos and images of various exercise poses. Nothing even remotely similar to what was in that video.

I refined the search further thus: "drunk butterfly exercise Chinese".

The first result was this video posted on Bilibili. It's a Shanghai-based video-sharing website.

The music is the same as in the WhatsApp video. But it's animation and not real people.

Below the Bilibili result, I found this video on YouTube. It's titled 'Drunken Butterfly'.

The music is the same. Now, real people are doing a dance sequence. 

It's clearly an exercise, because, using Google Lens, I figured out phrases in Chinese like 'lose weight at home' were superimposed on the video.

I continued my search on YouTube with different keywords.

And I found this one, that seemed to give some information. 

It has the lyrics of the song in Pinyin (Mandarin written in Roman/Latin script), and also its English translation.

This website says Chinese song The Drunken Butterfly (Jiu Zui De Hu Die, in Chinese) is sung by Cui Wei Li, and the lyrics and music composition are by Liu Hai Dong. The website has the lyrics and English translation.

Later, I found on YouTube the video I had got on WhatsApp two years ago.

I also noticed that most of The Drunken Butterfly videos were uploaded on YouTube in mid-2020, when Covid struck.

Looks like it became popular when people were locked up in their homes and were desperate to do some exercise.

19 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    What fun research - and now I have a new 'earworm'! COVID did yield rather a lot of such things. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Absolutely. It's a tune that is very pleasant to listen to.

      Delete
  2. Good and no doubt very satisfying sleuthing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent investigating or research. HeHeHe I loved reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although the music is catchy and the song is nice. I wonder why it became popular on Indian WhatsApp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Destination Infinity - Anything -- even the most ridiculous and meaningless -- gets shared widely on WhatsApp!

      Delete
  5. Hi Pradeep - this reminded me of all the little trends that helped people sane during lockdown - remember teddies in the window, rainbows, chalk drawings on the pavement etc? This was a fun one to look back on - and well done on digging deep enough to find the music source....Google is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - I was just curious to know more about the song and the video. Lockdown did spawn a number of new creative works.

      Delete
  6. Hi Pradeep - gosh I'm glad you have time for these searches! But fascinating to read your approach and to see some of the video - the child is incredibly musical - puts me to shame! Cheers and I'm glad you've solved its source ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always find time for what we love to do, don't we?
      I was simply curious to know more about the video and the song.
      That's what led me. And I was liberally helped by technology.

      Delete
  7. Now, that was quite the rabbit hole you went down. This is the problem with memes--they get shared so widely that it's hard to trace their origins later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that was quite the mystery you managed to solve. Good work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My god, how tenacious and persevering you are in your efforts to find the info you were seeking ! Most would have given up after one or two attempts. I admire this trait in you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a research you did. Hats off to your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont understand a word (till i read your post) but the music is catchy and the dance steps seem simple and doable!! A sequence to add to anyones exercise routine. And kudos to your research. The lockdown brought all kinds of WA forwards and only a few were worth saving . This definitely falls in that category!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mid 2020, everyone was looking for something to do within the house. This should be a part of it for sure

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.