Thursday, March 30, 2023

India election season

I just realised that it's been a month since I blogged last. I have been erratic in following my blog pals' posts as well.

I have been trying to do too many things, and as I prioritized, the blogosphere went down the to-do list.

However, I mustn't let one month go without a post!

Politics is one topic I have kept away from my blog for many years. That might not be so in the near future.

All the talk everywhere here now is about elections.

As many as nine states in India go to the polls to elect their Assemblies this year. Of them, three are over - Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland. 

Karnataka will have the elections on May 10, and the counting of votes is on May 13. It's an election that a lot of politics-friendly people are keenly watching.

An electronic voting machine and VVPAT
(Voter-verifiable paper audit trail) machine.
They are used for all elections in India.
(Source: Election Commission website)

After that, in November-December, people in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Rajasthan, and Telangana cast their ballots.

Next year, around April-May, we will have the Lok Sabha (national) elections. This and the US Presidential polls at the end of the next year will attract interest around the world.

India may have many problems. But, one thing that the nation and its people can be proud of is democracy. It's not perfect by any means. But it has truly stood the test of time, over the past 76 years.

The political discourse in India also has its flaws. But it has been proved many times that politicians can't take their electorate people for granted.

Politics in no democratic country is clean. The gloves are off at some time or the other. It can get very personal and dirty at times. That's probably the price we pay for the freedom to choose our governments.

Already it's hotting up in the run-up to the polls.

Elections in India are like a festival or sports tournaments. However disinterested, you are bound to know about it. There is nothing to indicate that it won't be so this time around.

13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I am a keen political observer and occasional commentator... in the current state of affairs everywhere, it is hard not to be touched by the shananigans no matter how, (as you say) interested or otherwise one may be! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - I too am a keen observer of what happens in the political realm, not just in India but abroad too. I fully agree with you. There is a wave of change sweeping across the political landscape across the world. And it's bound to touch everyone.

      Delete
  2. Your elections don't last a full year or more. Of that I am deeply envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true. But, every year, there is an election happening in some state or states. Of course, the actual process doesn't last more than two months.

      Delete
  3. Things pull us away from blogging sometimes. It happens. We get busy. Politics... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, democracy and politics are inalienably intertwined.

      Delete
  4. That is many elections coming up. Yes, democracy is not perfect but I think India does it rather better than many countries where you would expect a better system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the democratic setup (with all its flaws like in other countries) stands intact. I only hope politicians (who are so inherent to a democracy) realise their responsibility and ensure that the system is nurtured and strengthened.

      Delete
  5. Hi Pradeep - I'd wondered where you'd been - no posts arriving in my inbox over the last few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how your elections go from an insider's point of view - and yes, democracy is such an important privilege isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Thank you so much, for your concern. Democracy has its limitations. It's good as long as the people are aware of the responsibility that democracy bestows on them.

      Delete
  6. I don't follow election process much.. But hope to be a better participant this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh - Voting is the minimum that we citizens can do to take part in the democratic process.

      Delete
  7. Hi Pradeep - we're not going to be able to avoid all elections at all levels ... I can't say I look forward to it ... but probably because it's all so strident and divisive ... I wish it wasn't so. Thank goodness for democracy - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.