Wednesday, July 26, 2023

A small world

On Monday, I was travelling on a train -- from Thiruvananthapuram to Bengaluru -- after attending my school alumni get-together. (I shall write about the alumni meeting soon.)

One of the passengers was an elderly woman who was reading a book. Unusual, considering that most people (even elders) are glued to their phones these days.

When I noticed that it was a copy of Reader's Digest that she was reading, I couldn't help but strike up a conversation.

The woman told me that she was reading a physical book as an escape from mobile screen exposure. 

We then started talking about Reader's Digest, and she told me that she had grown up reading it. 

I told her that it was the same with me as well.

We talked about how the magazine had changed over the years, and we discussed some of our favourite columns. 

I told her that I still read Readers' Digest online and that I have subscribed to an app called Magzter that offered the magazine.

We talked about some of our favourite columns, like Quotable Quotes, Humour in Uniform, All in a Day's Work etc.

After about 15 minutes of conversation, the woman asked me where I lived in Bengaluru and where I worked.

Then came the surprises, one after the other. 

She asked me if I knew AB. I said yes. 

Then another person, CD, whom also I knew. 

Finally, it turned out that there are half a dozen people who are our mutual friends!

They are all either her school/college mates or neighbours.

I couldn't believe this! It's indeed a small world! 

Look at what a conversation that began with Reader's Digest led us to!

17 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    It's one of the great joys of life, spontaneous conversation that leads to connection!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Yes, it was such a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic outcome from a random conversation Pradeep. I love the connections - and it would have been a huge coincidence based on the population of India!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - It is always nice to have a good conversation.

      Delete
  3. I used to browse through RD when I was young, but I should admit my favorite was Tinkle ;)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it was not just a train friendship where people forget after reaching their destination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A woman who knows a lot of people is a treasure. Value her 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomi - She was a college teacher in Bengaluru. She has a wealth of experience.

      Delete
  6. It is truly a small world. (Now your blog is appearing twice in my feed, so whatever issue was going on before has fixed itself.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite amazing. Who would thought that would come from a stranger reading a Readers Digest on a train. However, when she said she wanted less screen time, you unhelpfully told her of Magzter whereby she could read RD online, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! You made me smile. And I read Reader's Digest for decades and appreciate your favorite columns. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - It's a good magazines. Love to read it. So many articles about simple aspects of our every day lives.

      Delete
  9. I grew up reading it too! How funny that you run into a person reading it and they're basically a friend of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That conversation must have really made you think it is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pradeep - it's fun when striking up a conversation with a stranger results in mutual connections - both people and subjects ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.