Sunday, February 18, 2024

Three of Us

Last night, I watched the movie Three of Us. It's a Hindi film that was released in November last year.

(By the way, I don't understand why a Hindi film should have an English title. There is nothing in the movie to justify it, either. There are many such Hindi and Malayalam films. Possibly, it is because of the demands of today's English-dominated Internet.)

Anyway, that was a digression. 

The film is about Shailaja Patankar (acted by Shefali Shah), a middle-aged woman from Mumbai who has been diagnosed with an early stage of dementia. 

As her memory fades slowly, one day, it occurs to her that she should visit the small town of Vengurla, some 100 km from Goa, where she did her schooling. She left the place 28 years ago.

The film is about all that she finds as she travels back in time.

The film is about nostalgia. It's much more than just memories or thoughts. It's about actual reality. 

It's also about the idea of time. "Later" is something that we take for granted, little realising that there might not be a "later time".

The movie is on Netflix and has English subtitles. It is a short film - 1 hour 39 mins. I hope it's available worldwide.

21 comments:

  1. I hope there is a dubbing in Tamil or Malayalam. I have never seen a Hindi Movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must a Hindi movie. Though there are subtitles in this movie, nothing like knowing the language in which the movie has been made. I doubt if there is a Tamil or Malayalam version. I won't be surprised if they make one, because this is a really good film.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm likely to find this movie entertaining. Let me see how to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomi - I am sure you will like this movie.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pradeep - I never think about movies being in something other than English (unless it's one of those arty European movies). I'm glad you enjoyed it - and I think it's good to remember that we won't live forever - and to enjoy every moment we're blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - I am also not keen on movies made in languages that I don't understand, even though there are subtitles, one might not fully understand the dialogues. I won't classify this as an arty film, but it's less on dialogues and more on visuals. Quite emotional and the actors have performed well.

      Delete
  5. The film sounds so interesting and I think the theme has been used before, but not in my experience in an Indian film. Dementia knows no race or creed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, yeah, dementia can strike anyone. It's as much challenging for the person as well as for the friends and relatives. 

      Delete
  6. I sounds an interesting film, though perhaps sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The theme sure is interesting. It's important to have some fun while we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh, This is not a fun film. Quite serious and very emotional.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like an interesting film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a heartwarming plot and I'm sure the real life aspects add great dimension. That does seem a bit odd and annoying about the English title; I imagine your reasoning is correct. Best wishes!

    - Darla Sands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - Yes, a plot that tugs at our emotions. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure it's available worldwide. I've seen a lot of Indian films on Netflix, sometimes multiples in different languages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that you watch Indian films. There are plenty of them in different languages.

      Delete
  11. Hi Pradeep - a film to make us think ... and realise the future is coming closer, and thus our end - whichever way that might turn. I'm sure I'd learn a lot from watching this ... - great review - thank you, cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary, for the comments. The future is something that we take for granted, realising little that it's in no one's control.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.