Monday, February 19, 2007

Glorious moment for my alma mater

I should have been at my school. It was a rare occasion.

The Chief Army Staff, Gen J J Singh, was at my alma mater, Sainik School, Kazhakootam (Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala), on the 17th. More than that, Gen Singh was accompanied by three top officers in the Army – Lt Gen Thomas Mathew, Lt Gen Issac John Koshy and Lt Gen S P Sreekumar, all from the first batch of my school, 1965.

Every since these three old students, got promoted to the top rank, within the last year, my school has been on a high. And this visit of the Chief of the Army Staff has appropriately topped it.

January 17 was the birth anniversary of another old student, Col N J Nair. He was awarded the highest peacetime decorations of Ashok Chakra and Kirti Chakra while combating terrorism.

Nair, who belonged to J J Singh’s Maratha Light Infantry regiment, was awarded the Kirti Chakra in 1983 for his valiant efforts in fighting insurgency in Mizoram. Ten years later, he was posthumously awarded the Ashok Chakra when he laid down his life while fighting off an ambush in Nagaland.


Report in The New Indian Express, Zee News

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.