Thursday, September 26, 2019

Absent-mindedness

Image courtesy: Cliparts Zone
I am quite absent-minded. More often than not, I forget something -- keys, pen, wallet, or specs -- when I leave my house; and I have to invariably go back in to get it.

I have also applied the shaving cream on the toothbrush, only to sense a strange burning taste of the 'toothpaste'!

The biggest fear I have while travelling is whether I have boarded the wrong bus or the wrong train, even though I have boarded it only after seeing the display board.

In the case of flights, the biggest reassurance that I am at the right boarding gate and entering the right aircraft are display boards, the announcements, and the multiple checks by the airline and security staff.

There have been two occasions, once while travelling by bus and another while travelling by metro train, when my absent-mindedness played havoc.

INDORE, 1989

The first one happened long ago, 30 years ago, when I got a new job and moved from Bhopal to Indore. I was a bachelor then, and all my belongings could be packed in three boxes.

As I boarded the Bhopal-Indore bus, the boxes were kept in the luggage compartment at the rear of the vehicle.

When ​the bus reached Indore, I alighted at a stop near my house, which was two stops before the Indore bus terminus, the final destination of the bus.

I moved to the rear of the bus, picked up my luggage, and headed home in an autorickshaw.

Within a couple of minutes, I realised that out of the three boxes, I had taken only two of them. And the bus had already moved.

My first thoughts were as to what was in that box. It had all the important documents, like the original certificates of my school and college examinations, and also my two-in-one radio-cum-cassette recorder.

I immediately told the autorickshaw driver to go to the bus terminus, since I had forgotten to take one of my bags from the bus. He was a very nice man, and he said not to worry.

My concern was whether, by the time I reached the bus terminus, the bus would be there, or it would have moved elsewhere. Also whether someone would have walked away with my box.

When I reached the terminus, I saw that the bus was right there, and some pieces of luggage were still being taken out of the compartment.

I told the autorickshaw driver to wait for a while, while my eyes roamed all over the place looking for my box. I was so relieved to see it was indeed there as if waiting for me to pick it up.

I told the conductor that I had forgotten the box when I had got out of the bus at the earlier stop. He told me that he had kept the box aside because there was no claimant for it.

I was extremely happy and relieved that I got it back.

NEW DELHI AIRPORT METRO STATION, 2014

​There was another similar incident. This was five years ago at the New Delhi Airport Metro Station. I had gone to Delhi to witness the Republic Day parade: the first time I was going to witness the colourful ceremonial celebration of the anniversary of India becoming a republic on January 26, 1950. 

I reached Delhi by flight from Bengaluru. After exiting the airport, I took a shuttle bus to the airport metro station.

After clearing the security check, I reached the platform and kept my suitcase and the backpack on the platform as I waited for the train.

When the metro arrived, I took my baggage and boarded. About 5 minutes later, I got a strange feeling that something was amiss.

I realised that I had taken only the suitcase, and had left the backpack on the platform. The only expensive item in it was the laptop. But that was valuable enough. The other things were my shoes, socks and toiletries.

The other passengers understood my predicament and asked me what had happened. They suggested that I alight at the next station and contact customer care.

Meanwhile, since the train was running underground, the mobile signal was feeble and I had trouble calling my friend, who would have been waiting for me at the destination station. Somehow, I managed to call him, tell him what had happened and that I would be delayed.

I got down at the next station and went to the customer care section, where an executive asked me the colour of the backpack and some identification marks.

They checked with their counterparts at the airport metro station, who said nothing had been brought to their notice. I began to give up hope, thinking it would have been picked up by someone.

I was ready to resume my journey to my friend's house and gave my mobile number to the customer care executive telling him to give me a call if ever they got the bag back.

Just when I was about to leave the station, ​​the executive received a call from the airport metro station saying that they had indeed found a black backpack abandoned on the platform.

I was relieved but my fear was that quite probably the laptop would have been taken away by someone leaving just the bag behind. Hoping against hope, I took a train back to the airport metro station.

As I walked towards the area on the platform where I had left the bag, I was happy to see that it was exactly at the same spot where I had left it.

But what surprised me was that there was a group of policemen holding some appliances and equipment with them, near the backpack.

It didn't take long for me to realise that the next day was the Republic Day parade (a very high-security event in the nation's capital), and that explained why the policemen, probably with bomb-detecting devices, had checked my backpack.

Just when I reached there, the policemen took the bag and asked me if I was the owner. I said I was, and sheepishly I told them that in a hurry, I had left the bag behind.

They asked me to follow them and took me to a room, which looked like a place where they kept all the lost and found items.

The policemen emptied all the contents of the bag and thoroughly examined them. After convincing themselves that there wasn't anything dangerous in it, told me to enter my name, address and mobile number in a register. I then put everything back in.

One of the policemen also told me to be calm and not to be stressed. He said people forget things because they are stressed out and that their brain doesn't work properly.

I thanked them all, for everything, including that gem of advice; and once again began my journey from the Delhi Airport Metro Station to my friend's house.

My friend told me, no one will ever pick up anything that is left unattended, especially if it's in crowded places like a railway station. Instead, they would alert the police. So, you will always get back what you forgot and left behind.

13 comments:

  1. Shaving cream on a toothbrush? Glad I never had to worry about that. Not as bad as forgetting the box, though, and that ordeal with your backpack. Good thing you got the important stuff back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unnerving to leave something behind. Glad you were able to retrieve your belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found your backpack where you left it. Travelling is always a worry with things to lose, I'm always worried I've forgotten something too! #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, after waking from a long-distance bus early in the morning, I took the wrong bag placed right next to mine (same model, same colour - damn my luck!) and got out. Just as the bus moved out of my sight, I realized this was a different bag! I was going to submit a tender on that day and all the documents and DD were in my bag.

    Fortunately, there was a diesel auto waiting there and he sped fast enough to reach the bus waiting in the next stop, which was a terminus. Otherwise, I would have lost the job for sure :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow both of those times sound really stressful Pradeep. I'm a very orderly person, but still worry about leaving things behind or missing flights or public transport. I'm always so relieved to reach my destination with all my baggage in one piece.
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pradeep - these things can happen ... but you were lucky both incidents were sorted out without loss ... the way of life as it gets busier. I've got on the wrong tube, got off, crossed the bridge and started again. I did leave my carrier bag in the overhead locker and realised once I got home - not far from the station at that stage ... the cleaner was still going through the train - and it was there. Glad things worked out - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. These things happen. Bring a smile to our face when we think back. But at that time it would have been nerve wrecking. While writing this, I am reminded of an incident. This was pre 9/11. A guy was waiting at the Los Angeles Airport to go to Oakland, California. The flying time is only 50 minutes. He boarded the plane. After 5 hours, he asked the Flight Attendant why we have not landed yet. The Flight Attendant replied we are flying over Honolulu. He said Los Angeles to Oakland does not go thru Honolulu. The Flight Attended replied this flight is going to Auckland, New Zealand. (The passenger mistook the flight announcement for Auckland for Oakland.)

    ReplyDelete

  8. -- Hi Oneil
    I almost thought I had lost my laptop.

    -- Hi Liz,
    Indeed, it was very unnerving.

    -- Hi Deb,
    You are right. It's with some anxiety I keep my important box in the luggage compartment of the bus.

    -- Hi Rajesh,
    You got into something very similar to what I endured. Lucky you got the stuff back.

    -- Hi Leanne,
    In the airport, after I put the boxes through the scanner, if there is a queue for the personal screening and I am getting delayed, I worry if my box is there or someone has picked it by mistake!

    -- Hi Hilary,
    Yes, it happens to all of us!

    -- Hi Rajan,
    Goodness! that must have been a harrowing experience for that flier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to forget something whenever I leave town, especially for short trips (?). My mother once forgot everything she packed for herself on a weekend trip. She washed her clothes in the bathroom sink each of those few evenings.

    Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delhi doesn't usually return things you forget. But a bag in a metro station will return to you since it will be mistaken for a bomb or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgetfulness is a bane on busy ones. I think if we measure the depth of forgetfulness, females will rank top.Sometimes I open the fridge and forget what for and then close it.Anyway some miracle reminds us some important assignments to be carried out on time. Thank God.Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you got lucky - twice!

    "Don't be stressed" sounds like good advice, yet is hard to follow, right?
    My parents just returned from a trip only to notice that both of them had not brought a house key (they had left through a self-locking sunroom door. I have to find out how they managed to get in eventually.

    Thanks for visiting my Paris post. If you ever visit, be careful in the metro. They do have a loudspeaker announcement reminding people not to leave their belongings behind. I assume it'd be a real pain to try and retrieve them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog is very informative and interesting, the details you mentioned about the top private schools in Bhopal is notable as they will surely help many people to know where to enrol their children for the best education.
    Moreover, the brief you gave about the Best School in Ayodhya Bypass Bhopal are also very knowledgable

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.