Monday, September 23, 2024

UK Tour 11 - BBC


(Links to all parts of the series are at the end of this post.)

June 12, Wednesday

Around 50 years ago. Those were the days of valve radio sets. We had one at home. An HMV radio

Though my father was a chemistry teacher, he had a deep interest in history and current affairs, and he would regularly listen to news bulletins and other programmes.

I was in school at the time, and I was fascinated by this large device sitting on a shelf that allowed us to hear voices and music from far and wide. 

My curiosity wasn’t so much about the radio itself but about the world it brought into our home, from local happenings to global events. A few years later, the smaller transistor radios arrived.

Among all the stations I listened to, the BBC World Service stood out. It made a lasting impression on me, and even now, I still listen to it. Unlike in the past, though, when I miss a live broadcast, I can catch it later as a podcast.

My conscious decision to choose journalism as a career was in no small way shaped by the BBC, and it was a childhood dream to visit the radio station.

Today was that day.

After a morning walking tour of London, we took the tube from Green Park to Oxford Circus. Just 500 metres ahead was the iconic Broadcasting House.

I had finally made it to the BBC. While I would have loved to see Bush House, the former home of the BBC World Service until 2012, time was short. We only had an hour to spare.

This was also an occasion for me to meet a journalist who works there whom I have known for a few years. Despite having a recording scheduled for later in the afternoon, he had done his prep work ahead of time and took a break to show me around. I was so grateful for his kindness.

Even though I’ve spent 37 years in the newsroom, stepping into the BBC felt different. 

It was about reconnecting with those early days when I would listen to the World Service, an association that sparked my passion for current affairs and, ultimately, journalism.

I didn’t want to leave. But time was running out.

(To be continued)

Links to all the posts in the series

01 - Departure (June 05, Wednesday)

02 - Dockwray Square, Tynemouth (June 06, Thursday)

03 - Cresswell Pele Tower (June 07, Friday)

04 - Howick Hall Gardens & Arboretum (June 07, Friday)

05 - Boulmer Beach, Zamorins (June 07, Friday)

06 - Beamish Museum (June 08, Saturday) 

07 - The Holy Island of Lindisfarne (June 09, Sunday)

08 - Linhope Spout Waterfall (June 10, Monday)

09 - London, Wanstead (June 11, Tuesday)

10 - London City (June 12, Tuesday)

11 - BBC (June 12, Tuesday)

14 comments:

  1. I am glad you got a tour, however brief. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    What a great little interlude for you! I'm delighted you got to strike this off your bucket list. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pradeep - how cool to have been able to touch base with a fellow journalist and to have a personal tour of the BBC. I'm sure it will tick off an item or two that was on your bucket list. This UK trip sounds like it was everything you hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Yes, it was like a dream come true! Just being there at the BBC.

      Delete
  4. Happy to learn you could visit the office building of your favourite radio station BBC and have a guided tour! Great to hear that you have been a journo for more than three decades. Have you published any book of your columns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KP - Thank you. No, I haven't published any books. Maybe I will once I retire in about seven months time and I will have more time for myself. However, I have written quite few articles that were published in the newspapers I have worked for. Being in the newsdesk, my work profile is planning and selecting the contents of the next day's newspaper and also editing the news items that finally go into the paper.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow. That must have been great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that must have been amazing to see the place that had so much impact on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful for you, Pradeep. That must have been a fantastic experience, especially for you as a journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How good is it that you got to see what looks like an amazing place

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so behind when it comes to pop cultures.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.