Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Harris-Trump presidential debate: Who won?


The second U.S. presidential debate yesterday (today morning in India) was significantly better than the first one between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. It felt more like a debate between equals, in stark contrast to the chaotic first encounter.

ECONOMY

Harris started off by responding to the moderator’s question: “When it comes to the economy, do you believe Americans are better off than they were four years ago?” 

However, she didn’t directly answer the question. Instead, she outlined her plans to improve the lives of Americans, which sounded more like an opposition leader challenging an incumbent rather than a leader defending their administration’s record.

This was not the strongest start for her. I wonder why she didn’t simply say, “Yes, we are better off now than four years ago,” and then provide supporting reasons.

To her credit, she quickly recovered and began a subtle offensive.

ABORTION

She was particularly passionate when discussing abortion, which was unsurprising given her track record on this contentious issue. I’m confident her ratings received a boost after that segment. In contrast, Trump’s stance on abortion did not come across as compelling as Harris’s.

RACE

On the issue of race, moderator David Muir asked:

Mr. President, you recently said of Vice President Harris, "I didn't know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black, and now she wants to be known as Black." I want to ask a bigger-picture question here tonight. Why do you believe it's appropriate to weigh in on the racial identity of your opponent?

To this, Trump cleverly replied:
I don't. And I don't care. I don't care what she is. I don't care. You make a big deal out of something. I couldn't care less. Whatever she wants to be is okay with me. ... I don't know. I don't know. All I can say is I read where she was not Black, that she put out. And, I'll say that. And then I read that she was black. And that's okay. Either one was okay with me. That's up to her. That's up to her.
Harris’s response on race was rather generic, except for mentioning a couple of instances where she accused Trump of acting in a racist manner in the past. However, she didn’t address the issue of her own racial background. 

I thought Trump handled this better.

GLOBAL ISSUES

On global issues, neither candidate managed to outdo the other. There was, as usual, NATO, Afghanistan, North Korea, Russia, and China. Their responses were all quite predictable. 

All said and done, I don't think either of them will be able to end the Ukraine war within 24 hours of being elected. 

CLAIMS AND COUNTER-CLAIMS

On almost all topics, both Harris and Trump exchanged claims and counterclaims, each accusing the other of lying. Obviously, there’s plenty of fact-checking to be done.

Both Harris and Trump employed “scare tactics,” using “facts” to paint a dire picture of what would happen if the other candidate won.

Until the facts are verified, we won’t know the extent of truth in their claims and counterclaims. Also, whether Americans need to be fearful of the future if either of them is elected.

BODY LANGUAGE

On the whole, from the body language point of view, Harris came across as a more professional debater, frequently addressing Trump directly. 

I don’t recall Trump ever looking directly at Harris except for a few sideways glances. This gave the impression that Harris was in command while Trump was on the defensive.

Harris often used the word “you,” directly addressing the American people, especially when looking into the camera. Trump, on the other hand, seemed to focus more on the word “destroy,” as in “they will destroy America”.

While we don’t know the accuracy of the facts, claims, and counterclaims made by Harris and Trump, this was indeed a fiery debate, and Kamala Harris seemed to emerge as the more articulate, forceful, and stronger participant.

Here is the replay of the full debate:

20 comments:

  1. You have described last night's debate very accurately. Just FYI: Are you better off now than 4 years ago. This is the famous speech by Ronald Reagan during the 1980 Presidential election debate with Jimmy Carter. The moderator used it as his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that bit about Ronald Reagan. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  2. I’m an American, so I was very interested in your take on the debate.

    I will tell you that (1) no one is eating pets in Springfield, Ohio, despite what Trump said. (2) Trump still refuses to acknowledge that he lost in 2020 and (3) CNN and numerous other news agencies fact checked both candidates. Harris was caught making one misrepresentation. Trump lied 33 times.

    Since you clearly understand the issues … who would you rather see as the American President?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The claim that people were consuming pets was obviously false.
      His refusal to concede the 2020 election and subsequent boycott of President Biden's inauguration wrong. That's not the way a leader, especially in a democracy, behaves.
      In contrast, Kamala Harris seems to have qualities that befit a leader, and also comes across as more presidential.

      Delete
  3. Since I have zero interest in politics I have no opinion on this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo-Anne - I can understand. Politics can easily put off many people.

      Delete
  4. #45 has a very unfortunate hectoring way of speaking, and he tried all his usual lies and added a new one or two. The bitter old man was no competition to the bright and sparky Harris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true. He seems to suffer from a complex, because of all the negative feedback, and all this looks like a desperate attempt to show that he is really doing a lot of good things.

      Delete
  5. It's hard to watch that man speak. Or rather, listen to him. He just makes me so mad. This is why I don't watch debates and such. (My mind is already made up, anyway. The debate wouldn't have changed it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand. It's difficult to agree to what he says. Apart from what he says it's also about how he says.

      Delete
  6. Your report is factual and I agree with your opening observation that KH could have handled her start better. However, she came out as confident and sure of herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KP - Yes, in the debate she did outperform Trump.

      Delete
  7. Trump can claim to be the Viswaguru. He must learn a few Sanskrit words, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your summary is very articulate. I will try to watch this debate..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh - Ya, just to see how well / badly they debated!

      Delete
  9. I heard about the Trump-Harris fight, but I purposefully don't stuff my brain with them. Your presentation ignited my interest to look into these matters once in a while to be updated. I am not at all in favour of Trump because, in his last tenure, he did not show much care and concern for the people, while with other presidents I feel they show concern and care. I hope Harris will do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Water - Looks like it will be a close fight.

      Delete
  10. Hi Pradeep - well done ... not a subject I'd conjecture about - though I know my own views ... I gather the fact checkers corrected many mistakes. I hope the USA gets a leader it deserves ... take care - and interesting comments ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - Not in the US alone; in many other parts of the world, too, extreme and radical views are finding acceptance. That's quite disheartening.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.