Saturday, June 8, 2024

UK Tour 01 - Departure

June 05, Wednesday

The distance from my home to Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru is around 40 km. Normally, it should take about a little over an hour by cab, even when there is traffic. But on the way, there was a sudden downpour, not quite unexpected. 

Seeing the intensity of the rain, my wife and I were a bit worried that we would be stuck on flooded roads. But mercifully, it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. Though it took us nearly two hours, since we had started early, we were well within time. 

Terminal 2 of Bengaluru airport.

This was the first time we were at Terminal 2, the swanky addition inaugurated in December 2022. The architecture is unique and unlike what one would expect from an airport. The interiors are crafted with engineered bamboo and have an indoor garden, waterfalls, and hanging planted bells. It's huge, with scores of check-in and security counters.

Terminal 2 of Bengaluru airport

The Emirates flight to Dubai took off at 2050. Usually, I keep the seat belt fastened only when the seat belt sign is on. But this time, I made sure the seat belt was fastened throughout the flight, thanks to the two recent incidents of very major turbulence flights encountered.

On the flight, I talked to an elderly gentleman, originally from Bengaluru but who works in Washington. He asked me if I had an onward flight from Dubai. 

When I said yes, and it was to Newcastle, he asked me if Newcastle was in Canada? I said no, it's in the UK. He was quite surprised that there was a direct flight to Newcastle in the UK from Dubai.

I can fully relate to his surprise because I have myself been surprised to see direct international flights from Bengaluru to many cities that one wouldn't expect. 

We reached Dubai at 2330. Since there was a layover of around 8 hours, we looked for a place to sleep. There are lounges. But we found the reclining chairs near one of the gates quite okay.

There was a crowd, but most of them were sleeping or watching mobiles. A few children seemed to have lots of energy to run around and play at that unearthly hour. But that was only for some time, and we got nearly five hours of good sleep.

(To be continued)

Links to all the posts in the series

01 - Departure (June 05, Wednesday)

02 - Dockwray Square, Tynemouth (June 06, Thursday)

03 - Cresswell Pele Tower (June 07, Friday)

04 - Howick Hall Gardens & Arboretum (June 07, Friday)

05 - Boulmer Beach, Zamorins (June 07, Friday)

06 - Beamish Museum (June 08, Saturday) 

07 - The Holy Island of Lindisfarne (June 09, Sunday)

08 - Linhope Spout Waterfall (June 10, Monday)

09 - London, Wanstead (June 11, Tuesday)

10 - London City (June 12, Tuesday)

11 - BBC (June 12, Tuesday)


10 comments:

  1. Wahey! You’re going to the UK! I shall follow your tour with interest, Pradeep. Hy are you visiting Newcastle first? It is a surprise to me too that there is a direct flight there from Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pradeep - I'm somewhat surprised at the link to Newcastle ... but that's great if that's where you want to go ... gosh ... have fun here! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    Yes! Up, up and away! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not really surprised about the Dubai connection to Newcastle. As I think you may know, my late partner was from Newcastle, so I am curious about your connection to the city. I really hope I haven't forgotten something I already knew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine kiddos would have energy at any time of day or night. glad you did get some sleep. That's a long layover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are the pics of the new international terminal? Nyways, Hope you had a great trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you made your flight. That must have been terribly stressful. ~hugs~ And an eight hour layover makes me shudder because I hate being in public spaces for very long. lol By the way, I looked up images of that airport terminal and it's wild! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so far traveled 760,000 miles. One thing I have learned is to keep your seat belt fastened at all times without fail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always keep my seatbelt on when flying. Just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  10. L'aéroport est splendide ! La décoration est effectivement surprenante, mais ça doit être agréable de s'y promener. Enjoy your holidays ;))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.