Sunday, June 9, 2024

UK Tour 02 - Dockwray Square, Tynemouth

This post continues from 

June 06, Thursday 

Newcastle International Airport

We had a pleasant flight from Dubai to Newcastle, where we landed at 1220. Our friend Henry and his friend, Don, were kind enough to come to the airport.
 
After checking into a hotel and having a late lunch, we headed to Dockwray Square in North Shields in the evening.

This is not quite a touristy place, but I included it in the places to visit list after reading an article in The Guardian.

From this article - How Tyneside Inspired a Laurel and Hardy Classic - published in 2003, which I stumbled upon by sheer accident while doing some reading up on northeast England, I learned about the association of Stan Laurel (of Laurel and Hardy movies) with North Shields.

The park in memory of Stan Laurel.

In my school, during those days, every month on a Saturday, a Laurel and Hardy movie used to be screened on a 16 mm projector. And I instantly became a Laurel and Hardy fan. Even today, I enjoy watching them.

From that Guardian article, I learned that Laurel had spent his childhood there, and in Dockwray Square, there is a park named after him and a statue of him as well. This was a surprise. 

The statue of Stan Laurel at the Laurel Park.

But the bigger surprise was that a flight of stairs in Fish Quay is said to have inspired the 1935 movie The Music Box.
 
There are now many places where steps are running down to the Fish Quay, and it's not clear which one was the real inspiration. 

One of the steps leading to Fish Quay
that is said to be an inspiration for The Music Box 

The film is about how Laurel and Hardy carry a piano up a flight of stairs to deliver it to a lady. The short 25-minute comedy is available for free on YouTube.

The Highlights

A plaque on the Highlights

We saw the Highlights and Lowlights. They are basically lighthouses dating back to the early 18th century. We also had a look at the Fish Quay, a fishing port which was built in 1225. (Photo below) 

The Fish Quay

From there, we went to see the Collingwood Monument in Tynemouth

The Collingwood Monument

River Tyne

The 7-metre-tall structure overlooks the River Tyne and is dedicated to Vice Admiral Lord Cuthbert Collingwood, second-in-command to Admiral Lord Nelson during the Battle of Trafalgar, the naval engagement in 1805 between Britain and France-Spain combine.

This post continues

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Now, I learned something - I did know of the connection to Stan Laurel, but not about those steps. That little film is one of very best of L&H! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pradeep - I knew about the connection with the NE by Laurel and Hardy ... but not the detail, nor the other sights you've seen. I've only briefly visited Newcastle - but understand it's really spreads its wings. I too love Laurel and Hardy and yes we used to watch regularly too - cheers and continue on enjoying the NE - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurel and Hardy are always worth watching - I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is interesting. And now I'll have to watch some Laurel and Hardy. :D It's neat that you watched the videos at school. Be well and travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting spot to explore. Many silent movie era stars were from all over the place. I did not realize he was British, but that doesn't surprise me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the interesting Travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love Laurel and Hardy. I had no idea of their connection to Tyneside, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking how those stairs had to be exhausting if you had to climb up them a lot. To throw a piano in is too much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting post. I had no idea of the connection with Laurel and Hardy. I’ve only been to Newcastle once, but I liked what I saw of the city. Enjoy your tour and I’ll look forward to more photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Newcastle is one of my favourite places to visit, I am long overdue another visit.

    You have shown me some things that I had not heard of before. I will try to find them on my next visit to the area.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.