Wednesday, June 19, 2024

UK Tour 03 - Cresswell Pele Tower

________________________________

Links to the previous parts:

UK Tour 01 - Departure

________________________________

We got back to our home in Bengaluru on the 15th after an eight-day tour of the UK. I gave up the idea of posting updates while on the trip for several reasons. 

One, each day was so hectic that I had very little time to open the Blogger app and put up posts. I was keeping a rough daily diary, though.  

Two, we were walking a lot, nearly 8 to 10 km (5 to 7 miles) each day. We discovered that by chance when we looked at the Google Fit app on the phone! I used to be so tired, and posting updates was the last thing on my mind!

Three, the Blogger app for Android is not among the best. The photos have to be horizontal because vertical photos turn 90 degrees and appear horizontally! Also, there is no way of giving captions and hyperlinks.

I will write about the trip and post photos (and short videos, too) in the coming days and weeks.

The tour (a long-pending one) was exciting, enjoyable, and educative. I learned a lot about many places, monuments, and historical events. I hope to share some of them here.

The previous two posts (Departure and Dockwray Square, Tynemouth) have been updated after fixing a few typos and adding more photos.

June 07, Friday

Off to Cresswell
We -- Henry, my wife, and I -- started the day at 8:30 a.m., heading to the coastal village of Cresswell in Northumberland in northeast England, roughly half an hour's drive north of Newcastle.

On the way, we could see so many wind turbines. I was told that there has been a significant investment in wind power research and development in Northumberland, especially near Blyth.

Wind turbines
Cresswell is a highly picturesque coastal village. It is soaked in natural beauty and rich history, with beautiful beaches and historical landmarks.

During World War II, the Royal Air Force had two radar sites in this village. They have since been disbanded, and there are no indications of them now.

In addition to the beach, parks, and birdwatching centres, the Cresswell Pele Tower is one of the main attractions.

The entrance to Cresswell Pele Tower premises
Pele (also spelt peel) towers are miniature castles built between the 14th and 17th centuries along the Anglo-Scottish borders. These fortified structures served as a vital line of defence against the Border Reivers, who were robbers (from both sides of the divide) who stole anything they could find, mainly cattle.


The three-storey Cresswell Pele Tower, also known as the Cresswell Castle, was constructed in the 14th century by the Cresswell family. There are around 175 such structures in Northumberland. Many of them have succumbed to the vagaries of nature over time or are in a very bad state. This is one of the best-preserved peels in Northumberland.

Cresswell Pele Tower
The original entrance to the tower was on the first floor reached either by a ladder or wooden staircase. The ground floor was used mainly for storage. A narrow, defensive, winding staircase leads to the first floor. The first and 2nd floors had kitchen, bedrooms, toilet etc.

In addition to its natural beauty and historical significance, the Cresswell village and its surroundings offer several other attractions and activities. 

The beach at Cresswell
The nearby Druridge Bay Country Park has a large lake, woodlands, and meadows. It also offers facilities for picnics, birdwatching, and water sports.

There is also the Cresswell Ices, a family-run ice cream parlour that has been serving delicious homemade ice cream for generations.

There is also in the nearby town of Morpeth a range of historical sites, including the remains of Morpeth Castle and the gardens of Carlisle Park.

Alas, there is only so much one can see in a day. We had to give all these a miss. 

Here is a 1m 42s video that was shot near the Cresswell beach, showing the surrounding areas. There was a very strong breeze, and my apologies for its sound in the video. Since there is no voiceover, you may watch it on mute.

After a good look at the Cresswell Pele Towers and some time on the beach, we headed to Howick Hall Gardens & Arboretum in Alnwick, about a half-hour drive north of Cresswell.

I will write about that in the next post. 

This post continues:

UK Tour 04 - Howick Hall Gardens & Arboretum


12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh how wonderful... and to think, had I not been struck down with the lurgy, I could have been joining you here, as my friend lives a little between Morpeth and Alnwick! As it was, The Grey had to attend its appointment with the dealer on the 7th. Sigh... I am so glad you got to see so much, though, and that Henry didn't let you linger! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Both of us had our constraints or else surely we could have met up. I am sure there willl be another time.
      There was so much to see in all places that we went. So we had to prioritize. Even if I were to stay longer, there would have been many things that I would not have been able to see.

      Delete
  2. We all know how screwed up Blogger has been lately, so it's not all on Android. Some fascinating sights there. Too bad you didn't have more time to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand. It's a lot to try to blog about a trip while you're on the trip. Better to talk about it after, when you have the time and energy to devote to blogging.

    It looks like a lovely area with a not so lovely history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pradeep - I loved hearing the wind sound - atmospheric ... though no doubt cold on the east coast. What a lovely little part of the world - I didn't know about that Pele tower. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the wind. :D Thank you for sharing this amazing adventure. Be well!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Hilary. It was indeed quite cold. I was told that it was colder than usual for early June.

      Delete
  5. I never live blog a trip, I choose to submerse myself in my surroundings and write about it when I return home.

    I carry a notebook with me and jot down notes about my daily experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CherriyPie - Yes, I too found that's better.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.