Monday, August 1, 2022

When I forgot my phone in the cab

Once upon a time, mobile phone numbers could be saved only either on the phone or on the SIM. 

If the phone was lost or damaged all the numbers would be lost. Then, there would be frantic attempts to contact everyone who matters to us, in order to get their numbers.

If we were just replacing an existing phone, then the entire lot of numbers had to be transferred on to the new phone.

Then came the new feature of saving these numbers in the cloud -- either on iCloud/iTunes or on Google.

This was a huge relief. No phone number is ever lost, unless one lost access to the cloud account.

I always had an Android phone. So, I am not familiar with how easy or efficient it's to have the contact details backed up on iCloud / iTunes.

In Android it's pretty simple. Whenever a new contact has to be added, the default option is to save it to the Google account. If other accounts have been added, they too show up, besides an option to save it to the phone in the good old way.

The big advantage is that when I get a new phone, I just don't have to worry about the contacts. They are all there when I log into my Google account.

But recently it helped me on another occasion. 

I left my phone in the office cab that dropped me home after work.

I realised it when I entered home. 

There was a colleague of mine in the cab. I could call him or even the driver or the cab manager from my wife's phone. But I didn't know any of their numbers.

Google came to my rescue. 

All that I had to do was open my laptop, and go to my Gmail contacts. I took my colleague's number from there, and called him from my wife's phone.

After dropping my colleague home (luckily not too far from where I stay), the driver took the trouble to come back to my place, and handed over my phone.

(Image by Firmbee from Pixabay)

14 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Phew! Lucky to have realised early enough to catch your friend before he too left the taxi. I suppose the other thing would have been to call your own phone and alert the driver that way.

    I love Google contacts; but still keep a good old fashioned address and contacts book! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Yes, calling my own phone was the other alternative. If everything failed, the phone would have come back to the office travel desk, if and when the driver realised that I had forgotten it. But that would have been an agonising wait. Nowadays, phone has become such an important part of our lives.

      Delete
  2. I discovered the contacts in the cloud thing a couple of months ago when I added my number as a backup on my mum's new phone. Her contacts overwrote mine on my own phone and I lost all mine - my heart plummeted! Googling led me to the contacts saved on my laptop and I could restore almost every single one of my lost names and numbers - such a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Technology can be a boon as well as a bane. Glad you got your numbers restored.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info. I use android phone. I did not know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why you always keep everything backed up! Nice of the driver to come all the way back to return it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technology is amazing. Keeping phone numbers on the iCloud is similar to Android. It's nice not to have to redo each new phone when you get it. Glad you got your phone back so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs loves google. Then we both got OneDrive. LOTS more storage space in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red - Besides the advantage of being able to access data and files anywhere, storing in the cloud also reduces to need to keep hard copies.

      Delete
  7. How kind of the driver to bring your phone back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vallypee - Thank you. Yes, very kind of the driver.

      Delete
    2. This made me smile. Glad you got your phone back.

      Delete
  8. Hi Pradeep - that was fortunate ... sometimes we need to think on our feet ... just before the pandemic I lost mine in a taxi - and he was brilliant making sure I got it back. It wasn't in this town, but one down the coast ... I'm so pleased you're safely reunited! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even own a cellphone, yet I found this post interesting. Thank you for teaching me things that I never knew.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.