Monday, January 9, 2023

Finally, welcome home!

The years 2020 and 2021 will be remembered, ironically, for reasons one would like to forget. Covid upended our lives like never before. 

Among the consequences of the pandemic were the strict international border controls and travel restrictions. That meant family members were separated for months on end.

Though most nations gradually eased those curbs (China was the only one to keep them till about a few weeks ago), international travel wasn't easy. 

For some, visa clearances were getting inordinately delayed because of the huge backlog. 

Even if one had visa, air fares had gone through the roof.

For my son, all this meant, he had to wait many months to fly back home.

And that day was yesterday, January 8.

It's been almost five years! He was here last in May 2018.

We were in Sydney in Dec 2019 - Jan 2020, (weeks before Covid broke out). So, it's exactly three years since we last met him. 

Travel between Sydney and Bengaluru is easier now. There is a direct flight which Qantas started in September last year.

But, the flight left Sydney about four hours late, owing to some technical issues. 

So, he landed at Bengaluru at 8 pm, instead of 3.45 pm. 

And, we reached home from the airport around 10 pm.

But that wasn't too late in the night for his close friends, who too have been waiting for him.

Four of them dropped by within about half an hour of us reaching home!

It was so good to see them all together. 

Many years have passed by. But the bonding, the fun, the laughter -- they're all the the same!

20 comments:

  1. That's such a nice reunion story. Similar must be happening all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Enjoy! I am long past due another trip to OZ... but I just don't know if I will make it this year. I do so miss travel... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - So many have missed travel. It's gradually getting back to normality. Hopefully we will be making a trip to Down Under next year January.

      Delete
  3. That's fantastic Pradeep - I hope we're going to see some family photos in a blog post sometime soon. Is he home for good or does he plan to move elsewhere for work? I bet his mum was even happier than you to have him home again after so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Thank you. He is here on holiday. He will go back to Sydney next month; he has a job there.

      Delete
  4. Glad for you. The pandemic has had stranger consequences for people and families. Hopefully normalcy will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh - Yes, absolutely. I am sure everything will be back to normal.

      Delete
  5. Wow, it's been a long time since you saw him last. I'm sure it was good to be able to hug him again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad, at last, your son is back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pradeep - that's such good news ... I''m so pleased he came home for a visit ... does he live in Sydney now? Fantastic his friends were able to be with you and him too ... families and friends are made from these memories and history. Sounds fabulous - a great 2023 start - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. As if international travel wasn't difficult enough. It must have been so hard to go this long without being able to see your son. I hope he's home for a nice long visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you all! Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely for you to have your son back home, Pradeep. You must be over the moon! I'm so pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this story - so joyful! We have been lucky to enjoy company from our friends from down under since the spring. Vietnam only opened our borders in March. Enjoy the new year - hope your son's trip is long enough to satisfy everyone for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Red - Thank you. Yes, he will be here with us for a little over a month. And then, he will return to Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's fascinating! I'm exhausted just thinking about two hours of (mostly) standing. Walking is easier and I don't do that for two hours. lol Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.