Thursday, March 10, 2005

End of an era: Dan Rather signs off

One of the most celebrated, more often controversial, journalists, Dan Rather, has had his last day as the anchor of CBS Evening News, after exactly 24 eventful years, on Wednesday, March 9. We in India do not have a counterpart for Rather in TV, nor for Rather's predecessor, Walter Cronkite, who was described as the "most trusted man in America".

Interestingly, blogs played a significant role in Rather's departure. Rather's nemesis was a report that cast doubts on President Bush's service in National Guards during the Vietnam War. Among the first to cast doubts on the authenticity of Rather's report was Powerlineblog, among many other blogs. And, the rest is history as they say... Rather had to say on TV: "I am sorry." His departure is widely linked to the misreporting, though he nor CBS says that.


CBS coverage

BBC report on Dan Rather signing off
Dan Rather's farewell text
BBC report on the Changing Face of US News
CBS report: Dan Rather: a reporter remembers

1 comment:

  1. Hello, thanks for your comment on my blog. Yes, I went there because my 2nd year at Uni was over. Now I'm back in Japan, and started working part time to save up money again^^. I blogged about my holiday in Aus, so please check it when you have time. bye!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.