Sunday, February 6, 2022

A golden voice falls silent

Lata Mangeshkar. Photo source: BBC

Lata Mangeshkar was truly unique: her mellifluous voice and her vast career span. 

I grew up listening to her songs right from childhood. She was such a dominant figure in the Hindi film music industry that it's simply difficult to even imagine that she is no longer around, having left for her heavenly abode this morning at the age of 93.

She was accorded a State funeral today evening. There is two-day national mourning when the national flag will fly at half-mast.

She began learning to sing at the age of 5, studied classical music from the age of 9, sang her first song at the age of 13 (that's when she lost her father); got national recognition at the age of 20 for her song Aayega Aanewaala lip-synced by actress Madhubala in the movie Mahal.

There was no looking back for her since then. For the next 70 years, till the age of 90, she lent her voice to songs for over a thousand films, mostly Hindi, and a lot of them simply unforgettable hits. The best ones are those sung between the 1950s and 1980s.

Some of my favourites:

Pyar Hua Ikrar Hua Hai Pyar Se 

Kora Kagaz Tha Yeh Man Mera 

Tere Bina Zindagi Se Koi Shikwa To Nahin

Ajib Dastan Hai Yeh

Lag Jaa Gale

She lent her voice to songs in 36 languages, mostly Hindi and Marathi. Indian constitution has recognised 22 languages as official. Apart from them, there are scores of other local languages and dialects. I am just curious to have a list of all the 36 languages she has sung in!

The one song she sang in Malayalam (my mother tongue) is Kadali Kankadali is lip-synced by Jayabharathi in the movie Nellu

Her interview with NDTV in 2008.

Watch Lata Mangeshkar sing in this live performance of her most famous patriotic song: Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon, sang at the National Stadium, New Delhi, with Prime Minister Nehru and President Radhakrishnan on the stage, on January 27, 1963, after India's disastrous war with China the previous year. She later said that Nehru told her after the performance that he was moved to tears.

Here are some of the just 100 out of the over 30,000 songs she has sung.

Goodbye, didi. You touched a million hearts. Rest in peace.

20 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Such was her influence, the news of her passing hit the headlines in British newspaper The Guardian, this morning. A voice I came to know and appreciate also... RIP. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - I was quite sure you would be familiar with Lata Mangeshkar. She might have had her failings. Yes, her passing was covered globally, though not many around would have really known her.

      Delete
  2. How very sad. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was hugely popular. Not only that, she also fought for the rights of playback singers (the singers whose songs are lip-synched by film actors ... Their film-songs are as popular or sometimes even more popular than the movie itself!)

      Delete
  3. What a loss for her family, friends, and the global community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - She had a huge influence. Her songs had universal appeal. There was a song by her for pretty much any occasion.

      Delete
  4. A full and long life - and doing what she obviously loved Pradeep. I think it's something we would all aspire to. I watched some of the links and got a little dose of Bollywood for my afternoon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Two generations grew up listening to her songs. That was something.
      Glad to enjoyed those Bollywood clips, though they are from old movies.

      Delete
  5. However calm and composed I make myself I lose hold of my emotions when I hear "Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon"... Rest in peace Lata ji...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lijo - Indeed, that's a really moving song.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to learn this. I will listen with gladness to as many of her songs as you have here for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie - You will get plenty more on Youtube!

      Delete
  7. Wow, she's quite a prolific singer. It seems like things will never be the same with her gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was, Jeanne. And performed over seven decades. That's something.

      Delete
  8. I regret I don't know her, Pradeep, but may I sympathise with your loss of a greatly beloved icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vallypee - Thanks. She didn't have a global appeal. Her songs were in Hindi. But here huge standing in India made her passing a global news.

      Delete
  9. I am still coming to terms with her passing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pooja - Yes, it's difficult to imagine she isn't among us now.

      Delete
  10. Hi Pradeep - I saw the notice ... so I sympathise with you at her passing - she obviously had enormous influence in India, and will be remembered. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - Yes, she was extremely popular. Thanks.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.