Thursday, February 17, 2022

Caulk

There are so many word games out there. Another one!

I am a sceptic. I don't jump in when everyone jumps in. 

So, I took some time to get on to Wordle.

I am not hooked on to it every day. I play if I get time. 

I don't mind if I miss a day. So, I am not bothered about the streak.

A couple of good things about it. 

One, I am not competing with anyone. 

Two, I have full 24 hours to find the word.

A couple of downsides.

One, it's always only five-letter words.

Two, when you try out a word, you always have to start from the first letter. Meaning, you can't start placing the 2nd, or 3rd or the last letter first, and then guess the rest.

Yesterday's word was just out the world. I got it in the 5th attempt. I usually get it in the 4th try. 


After 'baulk' was marked wrong; since it couldn't be 'a', I tried C and it worked. And I learnt a new word. 

A waterproof filler is something that is so commonly used especially in construction and in house-repair work. But the word for it isn't that common. (At least I didn't know till yesterday!)

In fact, a few months ago, when water was seeping from our washroom to the basement wall, we had a worker coming in to fix it. Now I know what he applied.

12 comments:

  1. I am impressed. I am not good at this. I did not go to Harvard. HeHeHe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not good with crosswords. But this is okay for me. I liked the Harvard bit!

      Delete
  2. You've never heard of caulk before? Interesting. I've known that word for a lot of years. I too have jumped on the Wordle bandwagon. It's challenging. We'll see how long it remains free (as the New York Times bought it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Liz. I never knew the word. Going by comments here on Twitter it was a tough word for many here. In fact, many thought this was a sign of NYT probably making the puzzle tougher.

      Delete
  3. I played Wordle for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Then it got bought out by the NY Times and it's like they've made it their mission to pick weird words and words that use repeated letters. Two days ago I deleted it because it was starting to annoy me - I'm back to Candy Crush for now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally into Wordle. Sometimes it's the only thing I tweet in a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O, that's nice to know... :-)
      I wonder what might have made this such a popular game, though there are so many word games out there.

      Delete
  5. I should join the Wordle bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pradeep - I enjoy Wordle ... it's relatively easy - but I'm good with words. It's free - an enormous plus ... not worth paying to play (when the time comes, as no doubt it will). It was interesting ... it wouldn't let me start with 'slave' yesterday/today ... but I don't think it's changed its spots - five letters is easy, yet isn't. Glad you learnt what caulk is ... it's an ancient filler - used in Roman times ... when they crossed the Channel. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wordle has starting putting up a few words that I have not heard of before. Esp after NY times took over. Its a good thing no? increasing my vocab

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! I can understand how you wouldn't have a reason to know this word. Your intellect is so impressive. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.