Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Rising cost of air travel

Everyone is talking about how costly it is now to fly. Ever since borders opened post-Covid, flight tickets have been expensive. But it looks like it's getting more expensive.

Once upon a time, in India, only the really rich could fly. But over the last 25 years, air travel has become more affordable, and there is now a growing number of people who are choosing to fly rather than go by bus or train.

But buses and trains are far less expensive. For example, Bengaluru - Thiruvananthapuram flight will now cost an average ₹5,000. Bus fare is around Rs 1,800, while the train fare is around ₹1,200 (for A/c coaches) and just around ₹500 (for non-A/c coaches).

Still, many choose to fly because they can save time. Flight to Thiruvananthapuram will take a little over one hour, but a bus or train journey will take over 15 hours. The distance is around 700 km.

International fares, too, have skyrocketed.

When seen globally, still, India is among the countries where airfare is low. But, comparison of airfares in different countries can be tricky. In some countries, airfares might look costlier, but the average income there could also be comparatively higher.

Still, here are some figures I got with a web search. They might not be very accurate.

Of course, we all know the multiple reasons for the spike: the increasing cost of fuel and the financial crunch faced by airline companies.

I wonder if the airfares will come down any time in the near future.

10 comments:

  1. I feel train travel is the best. Maybe they should bring in bullet trains faster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh, There a peculiar charm with the train journey that one misses in flights.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pradeep - Australia is so far away from the rest of the world that airfares are always expensive - and being on one side of a large country means that it's quite expensive if we even want to fly to the East coast - so I'm more of a stay at home girl these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne - Yes, I understand. That way, Australia has clear disadvantage, since it's are quite far away.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with you. Also, it depends on the season. For example, India to USA is very costly during May-September time frame due to holiday season. After October the price comes down drastically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does depend on the season too. Here also during the holiday season, the fares go up steeply.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pradeep - I'm a stay at home blogger now ... on top of expense - there's all the strikes we're having - so I'm happy by the coast. I hadn't picked up your post - but I've lost a few from my Feedly - I have to sort things out over the summer. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I prefer driving to commercial airline flights. But travel just isn't happening for us now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually here and in many other countries buses will be the cheapest form of travel, a good bit cheaper than trains. Yours seem to be the reverse. I know which I would prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, everything has become so expensive nowadays. Of course, I haven't flown anywhere in at least 30 years, so I'm sure there are other things that have changed as well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.