Saturday, June 24, 2023

Test cricket is real cricket

England's Joe Root in the 1st Ashes Test.
Source: Sky Sports

Anyone who watched the first Ashes Test match between Australia and England last week (from June 16 to 20) would have been thoroughly convinced that the 5-day version of cricket, the original version of the game in play since 1877, is alive and kicking. 

It ended in a dramatic victory for Australia by two wickets.

There was a packed crowd at the Edgbaston Stadium in Birmingham. The Eric Hollies Stand kept up its reputation of being the noisiest.

But the best part was the intense battle between the bat and the ball. That's something we don't get to see in the truncated versions -- the 50-over or the 20-over.

Test cricket matches -- that last five days and around 30 hours of playing time -- test not just the physical abilities of the players but also their mental endurance. Very often, players bat for one whole day or even more than that.

In England's first innings, Joe Root, who struck an unbeaten 118, faced 152 balls (25.3 overs) and stayed in the crease for 269 minutes (close to five hours).

Similarly, in Australia's reply, Usman Khawaja batted for 478 minutes (nearly 8 hours) for his 141 in 321 balls (53.5 overs).

Similarly, for the bowlers, it's not just five or 10 overs. Australia's Nathan Lyon, who scalped 4 English wickets in the 1st innings, bowled 29 overs.

England's Moeen Ali bowled as many as 33 overs in the 1st innings. Similarly, Stuart Broad bowled 23 overs, and Ollie Robinson sent down 22.1.

Unlike the limited-over versions, there is more of a mind game at work with plenty of opportunities for creativity and variety. There is more time to experiment with bowlers and field positions with no fielding restrictions.

Test cricket is also seen as the more serious form of cricket, in which fair play and sportsmanship are much valued.

Currently, a one-off women's Test match is ongoing between England and Australia at Nottingham.

Very glad to see that the following for Test matches hasn't diminished one bit, though when the shorter versions were invented, there was a fear that this longer, real form of cricket will ebb into mere memories.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Pradeep - I had the first Ashes test on in the background as I was here ... it just has something to hold me. I've never played the game - mine was tennis as school ... so into that season here too. I see in the Women's 'Ashes' - the Brits have taken 7 wickets, but the lead is 254 ... I'm not sure if it ends today ... I'll find out shortly. But I'll have the next Test match on quietly in the back ground, when I'm around this week. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Test cricket is the most orthodox of all forms and the most intense one too. Some people may say it is long (5 days) and boring. I say longer you fight, sweeter your victory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ashes test was really exciting. We are looking forward to the next. It is such a challenging sport and we learn a lot from the commentary. Incidentally, my daughter-in-law's uncle is Farokh Engineer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember him. He was a dashing batsman and a great wicket keeper.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jabblog - Ashes is in a class of its own. I love watching cricket matches in England.
      It's a pleasant surprise to know of your relation to Farokh Engineer. I was very young when he played for India. But, if I remember right, later he was an expert commentator for the Test matches. It was always great to hear his insights into the game.

      Delete
  4. I never liked cricket. All other games are far more energetic. Cricket is a political game, so to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomi - A lot of people don't like cricket. Quite understandable.

      Delete
  5. Je ne connais pas les règles de jeu du cricket ;))
    Thank you for the new link to follow you, it seems to work. Have a a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching test cricket when I was little. But nowadays I don't even watch 20-20 matches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajesh - There is too much cricket nowadays. No surprise that you have lost interest.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.