The best parents
Here are some interesting points:
* Sex, although still a taboo subject at the dinner table, is no longer that hard to discuss for Filipino parents since they are always willing to have "the talk" on sex education with their children.
* The thought of having ‘the talk’ still makes Filipino parents squirm. But they did much better than other Asian parents, coming second only to their Thai counterparts.
* Pinoy moms and dads were rated better for warning their kids about the dangers of illegal drugs, though Thai parents proved to be the most open on the subject and South Koreans shunned the topic altogether.
* Filipino moms and dads were rated A (excellent) and C (average) respectively, getting their best marks for being hard workers, showing affection, and having values which teens admire and respect.
* A majority of the Filipino teens added that their moms and dads were people that they actually liked and definitely loved.
* Moms are the ones kids and teens turn to for emotional support while they turn to their dads when they want to have a good laugh.
* Filipino dads got a 76 percent (highest) rating for humor.
* For all their criticisms, demands and contradictions, three-quarters of Asian teens gave their parents high marks for doing a good job, but they still had many issues.
* Reader’s Digest said, "The teenage years can be a scary and challenging time for both kids and their parents and the key to a better relationship between them is open communication."
Read the full story here