Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Australia tour - Part 1

At the outset I must apologise to readers, who are regular visitors to this blog, for my inability to both post replies to your comments and also my infrequent visits to your blogs.

I have been preoccupied with lots of official as well as personal work during the past couple of months. On the latter front, a lot of work was related to the upcoming Aussie trip, which finally has begun, with the touchdown at Sydney airport Sunday night 9 pm.

My son, a school friend of mine and his wife were at the airport. The last time my wife and I met our son was about an year and a half ago, when he  came to India during university semester break. 

We were quite tired, after the 14 odd hour flight combined with the jet lag (Sydney is five and a half hours ahead of India). 

Monday, Dec 16

We took a metro to Circular Quay. What better way to begin the tour than a visit to the most famous of Sydney landmarks - the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge - - stunning pieces of architectural and engineering marvel. We also went around the nearby botonical garden.

We then headed to The Rocks Discovery Museum. It was amazing learning about the history of Sydney - right from the pre-European times when the place was inhabited by the Cadigal tribes - through English colonization to the current times.

Tuesday, Dec 17

We took a 'Light Rail' to Pyrmont to visit Darling Harbour. After lunch at one the restaurants there, we headed to the Australian National Maritime Museum. 

With a ticket of $20, we got to see the inside of the submarine HMAS Onslow and ship HMAS Vampire - - a first time experience for me. 

The museum also has documentaries on how the sailors worked in very difficult conditions in the submarine and the ship. Hats off to them. 

The engineering that has gone into submarines that travel so many miles under water, doing surveillance and collecting valuable information is mind boggling. 

The museum has plenty of literature on maritime treasures. It was worth the visit. I really enjoyed it. 

We walked around the place, had some refreshments and sat for some time soaking in the ambience and cool breeze. There are so many white doves out there, knowing well that some kind hearted tourists will feed them. 

We also got to watch a comedy-cum-magic show by a street artist who regaled the crowds with his jokes as well as some deft acrobatics. 

We then headed home later after dinner at a Malaysian restaurant Mamak.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a lovely trip thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like that you are having a great trip. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pradeep - welcome to Australia - it sounds like you're getting to see quite a bit of Sydney. So glad you could spend quality time with your son - 1.5 years is a long time between visits! Enjoy every moment of your stay and the family time you'll get over Christmas.
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leanne,
    Thank you. Having a good time here. It's not as hot as I feared it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pradeep ... sounds like your starting day was so interesting ... providing you with lots to think about - fascinating; I've yet to get down under ... one day in the not too distant future I hope. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, vacation progressing well. A good family outing for us after many many years. Thanks

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.