Saturday, March 5, 2022

Chennai trip - 1

Friday, March 4

I am in Chennai for the wedding of a friend's daughter.

Travelled by Shatabdi Express. It's after so many years that I am travelling by this train. It takes 5 hours to cover around 350 kms, with just one halt, at Katpadi, after it leaves Bengaluru at 6 am. 

The lack of on-board catering service was felt. The government had removed it from trains when Covid struck. Apparently government has resumed this only in very few long-distance trains. 

If cafeteria can function, I don't understand why food can't be served on all trains.

Saturday, March 5

Checked into a hotel in Padur. 

When my wife and I entered the room that was allotted to us, we were surprised to see that it was a three-bed room. (One double cot and a single cot). 

One cot is a waste. Probably it could be allotted to a family of three. 

I checked with the reception, told them we are only two. We don't need three cots.

It wasn't an oversight on the part of the hotel. I was told that all their family rooms have three cots.

(To be continued)

13 comments:

  1. I suppose the extra cot is good for larger families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Maximising potential! Have a wonderful time - also too long since having such gatherings... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time in chennai. The weather must be beautiful. Beginning of 3 seasons. Hot Hottest Murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Luckily during the past two - three days, the weather had been very kind. It hasn't been hot. Hope it stays that way for the rest of the trip.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pradeep - it's good you could travel for your friend's daughter's wedding - and we're still adjusting to what's changed ... I just hope you enjoy yourself. I guess it's better they have that 3rd bed available. Enjoy - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the wedding Pradeep - and I hope the train journey was restful and scenic (even if it didn't have a functioning food service). Darn covid is still messing with the big and little pleasures of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful time Pradeep. Are photos available for us?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Chennai. Surprisingly the whether is pleasant now. Enjoy ur stay here :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy Chennai Pradeep. I have a soft corner for this city--met my husband there:)
    The last time I visited in 2017, I took a walking tour with a fabulous guide. If you do find some free time, you may want to check out https://www.storytrails.in Our guide was called Akila Raman--a retired professor. She made the history of Mylapore come alive for me with her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arti - The walking tours are really good I am told. I have checked out Storytrails. It's fabulous!

      Delete
  9. You must have had to get up so early! And then there's no dining on a five-hour trip. Hopefully the wedding was nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am enjoying 'taking' this trip with you. ~grin~ What a nice story departure from all the world's sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, now I know why your are there in Chennai!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.