Wednesday, April 24, 2019

A to Z Challenge - U for Upper case

Theme - Journalism jargons
Upper case is the typography lingo for a capital letter. Lower case is for a small letter.

While editing or proofreading, if a letter has to be changed to a capital letter, then a forward slash is marked on the letter, and u/c is written on the margin to indicate that the letter has to be changed to upper case. Similarly, a small letter is indicated by l/c.

I am not sure of the origin of the word. But my guess is that in the manual text-composing era, in the printing press, the metallic blocks of capital letters were arranged in the upper rows and the small letters in the lower rows.

(This post is a part of the "Blogging from A to Z Challenge April 2019".)

4 comments:

  1. You are correct as to where upper case and lower case came from. (I read this somewhere. I thought it fascinating.) I wonder what they called non-capital letters before printing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Liz - There is an expression called 'small caps' for small letters or non-capital letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pradeep,
    My husband is a letterpress printer andI've done my share of typesetting by hand, so I too can confirm that upper case comes from the layout of the typecase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Josna - Glad to know that your husband is a letterpress printer; so quite naturally you will be family with typography and journalism. And thanks for confirming my hypothesis regarding the origin of the word upper case,

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.