Thursday, April 25, 2019

A to Z Challenge - V for Verso

Theme - Journalism jargons
This is another typography term that is used in journalism. It refers to the left-hand side page of a newspaper, magazine, book, or a sheet of paper. The right-hand side page is called 'recto'.

Literally, the word 'verso' doesn't mean left-hand side. It means 'reverse' or 'the other side' and refers to the side of a paper that is read second, after flipping the right-hand side page.

In magazines, books and newspapers, the first page is the right-hand side page; when you turn it, you come to the second page, which is on the left. That is the origin of the words 'recto' (for right) and 'verso' (the reverse/opposite of right).

Incidentally, advertisements placed on the right-hand side pages of newspapers and magazines cost more than those on the left. That is because it's presumed people see the right-hand side page first and then the left-hand side page.

(This post is a part of the "Blogging from A to Z Challenge April 2019".)


  1. I learn something new every day from your A to Z Challenge posts.

  2. Hi Pradeep - this was interesting ... I hadn't been aware of the terms Verso and Recto before ... cheers Hilary

  3. Hi Rajan - Glad you know that the posts are helpful to you.

    Hi Liz - Thanks.

    Hi Hilary - Thanks. Yes, verso and recto aren't very common names.