Monday, April 8, 2019

A to Z Challenge - G for Gutter

Theme - Journalism jargons
A newspaper page is divided into vertical columns of text. The number of such columns varies from newspaper to newspaper. Tabloids have usually four, while broadsheets have six or eight columns.

The white space between any two adjacent columns of text is called ‘gutter'. Some prefer to call it an alley. It forms part of the white space on a newspaper page, giving relief to the reader from the greyness of the text and the colour of the photos.

How much should be the measurement of the gutter is a call taken by the designers, and is a part of the style of the newspaper. More gutter might be better from the aesthetic point of view, but it would mean less number of words for each story.

In some newspapers, there is a vertical line that runs through the gutter to separate two stories.

In the case of a book, gutter refers to the space between the two facing pages.

(This post is a part of the "Blogging from A to Z Challenge April 2019".)


  1. I had never heard this term before. Now I'll definitely be using it :)

  2. I wonder what the etymology of the term is...and how is it related to the term gutter press...if it is.

  3. I had imagined it to mean something totally different!

  4. I had imagined it to mean something totally different!

  5. Hi Pradeep - it's an interesting design - printing term; while gutter-press really does refer to the gutter - low quality articles in some tabloid papers ... thanks - cheers Hilary

  6. Hi Nilanjana - I don't think gutter is related to 'gutter press'. Not sure.

    Hi Indu - :-) Some words can give a totally different impression.

    Hi Hilary - You are right. The gutter as in typography and as in 'gutter press' are two different things. Thanks.