Tuesday, April 5, 2022

A2Z Challenge - Day 4 - Discreet / Discrete

Swap two letters in a word, you get a new word. They both sound the same, but the meanings are hugely different. 

There are plenty of such words in English. They are called homophones - words with the same pronunciation but with different meanings. 

Discreet and discrete is one such pair. 

This how Collins Dictionary defines them:

If you are discreet, you are polite and careful in what you do or say, because you want to avoid embarrassing or offending someone.

Discrete ideas or things are separate and distinct from each other.

Sometimes, not to is better than to.

'I picked this for D because I could never get this right, until I found a way of remembering it. 

This is the clue I use: in the word for separate, the 'e's are separated by a 't'. The one in which they are together is for careful.

Related to discreet is discretion, which is a quality of speaking or behaving in such a manner as not to offend others. Discretion can also mean the freedom or authority to make a decision.

Indiscretion, the opposite of discretion, can land us in embarrassing situations. We all have had such moments at some time in our lives, haven't we? 

That is why this well-known idiom, Discretion is the better part of valour, makes a lot of sense

It means not doing or saying something is a bolder or a more courageous move than doing or saying it and then getting into trouble later.

Do you agree? Or do you think it's perfectly okay to be indiscreet, if the situation demands.  

---------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

Image credit: Pixabay


14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Decent Description, I'd say! Though I can see an argument for 'indescretion' if its need arose in the matter of an emergency. Say one knew of another's illness which has been kept quiet till now - when they collapse and are in need of attention - surely then one must tell the attending medics what one knows, even the other is unable to give permission. A matter of health must override niceties, I think. YAM xx
    D=Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it's better not to say anything. Then other times one should shout it out from the rooftops (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homophones. My favorite is I love to "pour" drinks every night. But I am too "poor" to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can get really difficult to be discrete in some situations but in the long term that may be a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pradeep - I love the way you've described these ... and yes homophones must be the bane of someone learning/listening to English! It's usually better to be quiet - unless there's an emergency ... good D - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Through out my life I was discreet whether or not my ideas an d thoughts r discrete. I hope i didn't mix the words ;) English is a phunny language...i hav a post where i struggled to teach phonics to daughter..

    Anyway cool post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not to impose with remarks that are indiscreet unless I must for my own sake or anothers. As we all of us have strong personal opinion on any given matter, or what we consider "a must" may perhaps not be the same as another person's idea of "a must".. However, we can't always be silent. But we can be courteous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked this post. Very unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your lesson on the two words! Discreet is one of my words for today, too. I'm visiting from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent over a decade telling people how absolutely stupid the English language is. Homophones one of many examples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I wish I could master the art of being discreetly discrete in my conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Language is fascinating. And you always impress me with all your skills. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between the two words, I have been reading and using the first one. The second one with a 't' in between was all good information for me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.