Friday, April 8, 2022

A2Z Challenge - Day 7 - Gym

Before I start today's post, I would like to thank all those who have been dropping by my blog, reading the posts, and leaving comments, some of them quite insightful. I have been reading them all. 

My apologies for not being able to immediately acknowledge your efforts, because of my packed daily routine. Yet, I chose to do the Challenge because it's still doable, though I might be occasionally lagging a bit.

Please be assured that I will return your visit and leave my comments, as I catch up during the weekends, and as and when I get some time.   

There was a time when I used to go to a nearby gym, mainly to walk/ jog on the treadmill and do a bit of exercises on the various apparatus.

But I discontinued after nearly a year; because I realised that most of the benefits we get out of doing those simple exercises in the gym, one can easily get by doing similar exercises out in the open air. I was also feeling the closed environment of a gym, a bit constricting.  

So, I go to a nearby park, daily. Bengaluru is lucky that way. There are many parks, and most of them have equipment for basic exercises.

This is not to say that gyms are of no use. But before we decide to sign up to use those machines in the gym, one must ensure that those higher levels of exercising are indeed needed. Professional gymnasts, athletes and sportspersons are definitely people who need to train in a gym. 

Besides them, there are also many non-sportspeople who would like to professionally train like sportspersons. That's also fine.

However, anecdotally, I have seen that there is a sort of misplaced fascination with 'gyming', almost like a fad, especially with youngsters: sort of an obsession with how one's body looks. 

Another trend that I have seen is some people go to the gym, vigorously and strenuously exercise for a few months. They then lose interest, and not only stop going to the gym, but also stop exercising altogether. So much so that they slip into a sedentary lifestyle.   

That's indeed dangerous, not just for the body but for the mind too.

Recently, there have been many instances of people who are 'very fit', 'healthy' and 'athletic', losing their life, because of over-exercising and thereby putting their body into too much of stress and strain. A simple web search will throw more light on this.

What is important is not going to a gym and exercising. What is important is exercising to our personal requirement, without putting our body into too much of stress. 

Finally, it's all NOT about 'looking good'. It is about being healthy.

--------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

Image credit: Pixabay


12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Gyms are one of the big financial cons, too - not cheap, most memberships and I know of very few who get full value! It is not a fascination I have ever had - despite having been a 'Gymnast' in youthful years!!! YAM xx
    H=Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Yes, there surely will be shrewd business angles!

      Delete
  2. Pradeep, I could write a book chapter here on that topic. I agree with you, and will not take up the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been one to enjoy exercising in a public place... I hope to buy a bike for exercise this summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne - Biking is good exercise. Good luck with biking!

      Delete
  4. I have stayed in the rainy city of Mumbai for about 5 to 6 years. The rains made me love Gym that was part of our gated community. While it rained cats and dogs for weeks together, the Gym would come handy. Though it was very monotonous to work out in Gym, it was better than nothing. And now I am in the Nothern hemisphere where sunny days are numbered. In firgid cold months, its the Gym again that comes to my rescue.
    May be this is a different side of coin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anagha - That's an interesting reminiscence about a gym. A workout when it's pouring outside definitely warms up the body and sort of shakes off some of the gloom that comes with rain.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about being very busy. It's why I'm not officially doing A to Z. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very valid point that you have undertaken. Yes, people go to gym for a sense of being in vogue and then they do not continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chinmayee - Thank you for the comments. By the way, I can't see the link to your blog in your profile.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.