Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Day 16 - Pogono-

Many men, including yours truly, gave up shaving during the pandemic. 

The last time I did that was more than 20 years ago, and that phase lasted around six or seven years, if I remember right.

This time around, two factors worked as an encouragement to put the razor away one fine morning and the next day and the next.

One, I was confined to home, and even if my colleagues saw me, I was a distant image on a corner of my phone or laptop screen.

Two, even when I stepped out, any probable scruffy look was very well masked.

This beard acquired a moniker too - quarantine beard!

There are various interpretations of what a beard conveys, depending on its length and looks, and also how the viewer perceives it -- sadness, resignation, wisdom, spirituality, maturity, concern, seniority, authority ... 

Even though we aren't done with Covid yet, our lives have pretty much limped back to the times before the virus wreaked havoc. 

I am now wondering if and when I should pick up the razor again. But a few appreciative nods and comments have meant that the facial hair will stay for now.

Here are a few words associated with beard:

  • Pogonotrophy - Growing of beard

  • Pogonotomy - Cutting / shaving of beard

  • Pogonology - Study of beards

  • Pogonophile - Someone who loves beard

  • Pogonophobia - hatred of beard

Now you know why I wrote about beard today!

--------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

Image credit: Pixabay

14 comments:

  1. Also there is one no shave November initiative where everyone stops shaving! Pandemic did bring physical and emotional changes in our being! Fun Post with new terms....


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Do you know, I once was aware of these words, but they had got lost on the back shelves of my archives - thanks for digging them out and dusting them off! A well-kept beard can be quite enhancing to a fellow's appearance - but I have to say that not too many I know are either well-kept OR enhancing!!! YAM xx
    P=Psykadelika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of beards per se. I like a well trimmed Goatee on a man however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of pogrom but not pogonology. I used have a well trimmed mustache and shaved daily (even on Sundays). But with covering of face with a mask, I have become very lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm disappointed we don't get a picture of you with a beard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pradeep I can see that you have researched and studied Pogonology well and have mastered the art of Pogotrophy, so much so that you you are averse to Pogonotomy because you are a Pogonophile!
    PS: There is a channel for children called Pogo... dont know if it has any connection with this beard related 'pogo' thing...may be a hair thin chance of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that is interesting. But what do you say about someone like me with a goatee? That I can't make up my mind? ;)

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever works for you, right? And as long as there's no one in your life that it irritates ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You taught me some new "p" words today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a funny word. Most the men in our family went full facial hair.
    A great P
    Portal

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned a lot about beards and pogonology by reading your blog today. What I found fascinating was after the masks were no longer required at work and I finally saw full faces of people I had worked with for 8 months, I was amazed how many of the men had facial hair. Couldn't see that through the masks. Whatever you decide to do about facial hair, I'm sure it will be the right decision for you at that time.

    betty
    http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've learnt a new word (or an entire series, actually) today. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pradeep - well you've introduced me to many new words ... I have to say I don't enjoy unkempt bearded hair poking out or appearing as straggly strands from under masks! But I love the words - well done ... and it's your choice!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I do adore learning new words. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.