Saturday, April 23, 2022

Day 20 -- Thunder


Loud sound puts me off, generally. I don't like firecrackers. One exception: thunder.

Kerala, where I was during my school and college days, gets a lot of rain accompanied by lightning and thunder. So, most houses, especially in hilly areas, have lightning conductors atop them. Our house had one.

Also, in Kerala, when there is lightning and thunder, people unplug electrical devices as they could possibly get damaged.

All said and done, I like that occasional streak of light in the sky and the roar that rumbles thereafter.

Not actually "thereafter", our physics teacher had told us in school. 

The sound is the result of the sudden expansion of air because of the high-voltage electricity that lightning produces; and both happen simultaneously. 

One of the fun activities in my school days was to determine how far away was the lightning. It's simple. 

Sounds travels at around 340 m in one second. Or, it takes 5 seconds for sound to travel one mile. It varies depending upon temperature and pressure.

I used to count the number of seconds it took for me to hear the thunder; and I multiplied that by 340.  The lightning was that many meters away. (Or divide the number of seconds by 5; it's that many miles away.)

My mother was scared of lightning and thunder. She always asked me to close the windows. In my excitement, I used to plead with her to keep the windows open, so I could see the lightning. 

But later, I realised that she was right: it's safer to keep the windows closed, because colder air conducts electricity better than glass window panes.

They are dangerous, I know. Last year, more than 70 people died in various parts of India after they were struck by lightning. 

Lighting and thunder is very rare -- just a few days in a whole year -- where I live now, Bengaluru. 

Rains are different when there is an occasional lighting and thunder. I don't know if I should say that I miss them. 

I don't want them to be close by. Let them be far away, giving me enough time to count quite a few seconds before I hear that clap. 

--------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

Image credit: Pixabay

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    This was a lovely post of reminiscence combined with the science and prompted similar memories for me! I definitely don't like loud bangs and am very grateful that thunder is extremely rare in Scotland. It is the one thing I don't miss from living in tropical and sub-tropical places! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pradeep - I definitely don't like 'bangs' ... never have - terrified of balloons, and also fireworks - let alone thunder claps nearby! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as I am inside my home, I love lightning and thunder. I think all cars and planes have lightning conductors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am scared of thunders too...we hav very loud ones even in hyd...though like u may be from far at times it's fun for me too..lightning and thunder set a horror aura to me....a mystic thrilling horror feel accompanied by powercut :)


    Fun post for T

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear of another person that doesn't like loud noises. I posted for S silence. I love the quiet. However, thunder is one of the exception to the noises I do like. Maybe not a loud claps of thunder, but the low rumbles. And I love the sound of heavy rain. I have a noise machine I fall asleep to. I always have it set to thunderstorm.

    Visiting from A-Z Challenge
    https://janetwoodsthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't get much thunder & lightning here in Cape Town, but when we do I love to be out in it and have taught my sons to enjoy it too.

    Visiting from Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thunder makes me nervous. But luckily, we don't have too many thunderstorms around here. (This makes me think of when the vaccines were first coming out. Apparently, one of the original people to test it out got struck by lightning during the trial, and that had to be disclosed with the data. Definitely no causation there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like thunder but not when it sounds like it is over my house. I too enjoyed both your memories but the scientific parts.
    Turned Back

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.