Thursday, April 14, 2022

Day 12 - Lassi, the cool comfort

Salt lassi. Courtesy: Wikipedia

A word starting with L? 

Today, in this hot weather, I can't think of anything other than lassi -- so cooling, comforting and relaxing!

It is a mixture of yogurt, water, spices and sometimes fruit.

It's more popular in north India though available all across the country.

It not just cools the body and reduces the chances of sun stroke, it's a healthy drink since it has lot of good bacteria that ensures a healthy alimentary system, besides proteins that help strengthen our muscles.

There are different types of lassi, depending upon what is added to it. From sweet lassi and salty lassi to mango lassi to strawberry lassi.

A few months ago, a foodie did a bizarre experiment by mixing such diverse stuff like green chillies, honey and Toblerone chocolate to yogurt, milk, and a little milk powder in a blender. 

An Instagram video of it got widely shared. I have no idea of how it tastes. Someone can try it out!

Writing this short post has left me craving for a glass of lassi. There is a Lassi Shop nearby. And, I am heading there right away, to celebrate the 12th letter of the English alphabet!

--------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge. 

9 comments:

  1. Ahh I love lassi. When you are in the lassi shop, have a sip/gulp on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    mmmmmmm... I made plain lassi for myself just a couple hours ago! I love it, and chaas version. mmmmm.... (yes, I know, that's tomorrow's letter *>) YAM xx
    L=Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of lassi. I'll have to seek some out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lassi is the ideal drink when it is hot outside! The North Indians prefer the frothy sweet version, while the folks down south prefer the tangier version with chillies and curry leaves! Either way, lassi is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green chilly lassi .. hmm.. not sure if i would try that.. Its like a strange combination of putting chilli powder on guava icecream.. quite popular here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so strange how different countries have things that are completely unknown elsewhere. This is the first time I've heard of lassi - it sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. One would think to leave a lovely creation as Lassi alone and not add those things to it. I should not like it at all in that state with chilies and chocolate etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who so ever that culinary nerd is, he or she should be sent to dungeons for murdering the Lassi. Lassi should and must remain sacrosanct!
    Refreshing post as usual Pradeep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pradeep - Lassi (or as we know it - buttermilk) is known but not regularly promoted. I'd never used buttermilk til I was in South Africa ... but I must say I've never been fond of 'milky drinks' - but can see the appeal, especially if it's hot. Good to read about though ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.