Saturday, April 30, 2022

Day 26 - Zumba

Video screenshot from Zumba

I haven't gone for it, but I know a few friends who signed up for Zumba classes. They say it's real fun.

Traditional exercises or dance forms can be too formal. Usually, they are bound by a strict pattern of movements, which sort of makes them too regimented.

(Some of the well-known Indian dance forms: Bharatanatyam, Kathakali, Kathak, Kuchipudi, Manipuri, Odissi etc.)

Zumba adds a liberal dose of entertainment to dance and exercise. There is no water-tight regimen and the routines are flexible, customisable to individual needs, and therefore enjoyable, making it very popular.

Zumba is a trademarked fitness programme that originated in southwest Columbia in the 1990s. It was created by dancer and choreographer Beto Perez, by combining elements from four Latin American dance rhythms: salsa, reggaeton, merengue, and cumbia.

In 2001, Zumba Fitness, LLC, was founded; and in 2011 it arrived in India, one of the over 180 countries where it's now taught and practised.

There is music and a lot of high-impact body movements, including jumping and bouncing. If one is keen on moving into advanced forms, it's better to get prior medical advice.

Like any exercise, Zumba is undoubtedly good for health. It burns calories, loosens joints and muscles, and keeps one agile.

Also, like any exercise, overdoing it won't do any good.

Sources:

ZumbaMint; WebMD, Wikipedia

--------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

The series concludes with this post.

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.


16 comments:

  1. Zumba is a good exercise form. Pradeep, Congratulations on completing one more year of successful A to Z April challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I know several folk who have taken up Zumba. Not for me - I'll stick to bhangra and and Scottish country dancing! Congrats on completing the alphabet. YAM xx
    Z=Zany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zumba is said to be great fun but taxes the knees (so I am told). I hope to sign up for a class some day. Congratulations on completing the AtoZ! I have an answer to your query in my Reflections post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Archana - Thank you. Congratulations to you too! I shall surely check out the Reflections post.

      Delete
  4. Zumba is the only fitness regime that I can be consistent with. Otherwise I always find an excuse to skip excercise. Even with Zumba I have an excuse of my shoes being in a different room :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sinjana - Considering Zumba is enjoyable, I am not surprised that you are quite consistent with it.
      - Pradeep from Time and Tide

      Delete
  5. Jumping up and down means Zumba is not for me, but it sounds like it can be fun. I walk in my neighborhood twice a day and enjoy that and so does my pup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Pradeep - Zumba is certainly popular, sadly I couldn't do it - no sense of rhythm ... but I'd love to be able to do it - though also interesting to know the history of the dance. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zumba is fun and full of energy! Congratulations on finishing the A2Z challenge! Loved all your posts though I could not comment due to not being able to sign in to my Google account - Brinda ritecontent dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always wanted to but never dared trying zumba due to some of my ailments. Congrats on making it till the end of ato z and thanks for ur visits on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jumping up and down means Zumba isn't for me, but it sounds like it can be delightful. I walk in my neighborhood twice a day and enjoy that and so does my doggy.
    Jaipur Tour

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does seem to be very popular, Pradeep, although I don't know where people find the time to follow classes of anything. I never seem to have any...free time, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the excellent post! It covers all bases. Some of the stuff I already knew, but I also learnt a lot. This is content that should absolutely be shared. Check Zumba Session in Office

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.