Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Day 10 - Junction. What do you mean?

This must be one of those most crazy words in English, because there are so many meanings for this word.

Junction is a 2012 American movie and Jjunction is a 2002 Tamil movie

There are electrical junctions, road junctions, rail junctions and canal junctions.

Junction is a Finland-based hackathon organiser which launched operations in 2015. It's now gone international. Last year, it was held from Nov 19 to 21.

In computer science, Junction tree algorithm is a tool used in machine learning.

Junction plakoglobin is a type of protein.

In the United States, Junction is a city in Texas, a town in Utah, a village in Illinois,  and an unincorporated community (a region not governed by the local municipal corporation) in Wisconsin, West Virginia, Ohio, and Idaho.

Junction is a suburb in Melbourne, Australia.

So many restaurants in Bengaluru are named with Junction as one of the words. -- Punjab Junction, Jalandhar Junction, Junction Restaurant, Roll Junction, Malabar Junction, Juice Junction, Paratha Junction, Momos Junction. ... 

Do other cities too have such names for restaurants?

Now, where did I get all this information from? 

In Wikipedia, there are 252 pages with subject titles (either direct or redirected) beginning with the word Junction. All those are listed in one single page here, the source of information for this post.

Now, how did I find this page?

Serendipity!

 --------------------

This post is part of the blogging challenge in April every year, wherein bloggers put up one post a day, from A to Z, every day except Sundays. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z. I am also on A2Z April Challenge.

Image credit: Pixabay


15 comments:

  1. Among all junctions, my favourite fromthe post is Junction plakoglobin. Oh my my... my tounge was in knots before I could actually pronounce it Pradeep. And now I am at a junction wondering am I growing too old too fast to find it difficult to pronounce it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    &*<> A Jaunty post to address the letter J!!! There are indeed restaurants and 'takeaway' shops here that incorporate the word Junction. I am not aware of any suburbs with that in Scotland - but in OZ it is does appear a fair bit. In Sydney there is Bondi Junction... YAM xx
    J=Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yamini - Okay. That's interesting! Junction has something to do with eateries!

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Not so much 'eateries' - more like 'meeteries'! Junction in all aspects of its usage pertains to a meeting of many things at a single point, but it is not terminal... Yxx

      Delete
  3. There is a city called Grand Junction in the State of Colorado, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Conjunction Junction, what's your function...?" Just took me back to my childhood. (I have no idea if this will play for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdCFat9rjI)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolute fun read this post was - thank you for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure who has the patience in Wikipedia to compile all those junctions together. That should be a tough job!

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should buy 'Serendipity' a lovely lunch at one of those 'junction' restaurants Pradeep. She's been very helpful to you:)

    That so many towns/cities etc in the USA are called Junction fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a lot of research on junction! I don't think I've ever done the etymology of it. I'll have to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An absolute fun read :) Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When i say junction , what first comes to mind are railway stations like Shoranur junction


    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
  11. This IS a fun read! I enjoyed it very much. Here where I live, there is a Malfunction Junction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pradeep - yes junction and railways; it's definitely an industrial word ... to join ... I guess applying to restaurants it could be inferred 'fusion meals' ... but amazing research you've given us for J - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.