Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Bewilderment

Theme: Emotions

This is an emotion that combines confusion, surprise, amusement, or sometimes even shock. We are completely taken aback by an encounter, and it can be disorienting as well.

Bewilderment can stem from a situation, a piece of information, or even someone's behaviour.

Some examples: 

You walk into your house and find everything sort of scattered all over the place.

A child watching a magic show.

You do a web search to find out how a plane takes off when it increases its speed on the runway. You get an explanation that you simply can't understand.

Some of the body language that indicates bewilderment are furrowed brows, dropped jaw, wide eyes, etc.

If you are bewildered by something, is it good or bad? That depends on what is causing the bewilderment or what you are unable to understand. 

The magician's tricks leave you with a pleasant feeling. 

If you are unable to understand the explanation of how an aeroplane takes off, that could lead you to learn more about something called Bernaulli's Principle.

If you find furniture at home scattered all over the place, it might trigger panic and despair. But then it's better to calm yourself and figure out the why of it.

Mostly bewilderment can be the starting point to discovering a new world of understanding.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? 

Can you recall something that left you completely bewildered?

(I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterA2Z)


14 comments:

  1. My father shutting out my husband and me from his life three times (!) is definitely bewildering. I think he hated the fact he could no longer control my life. I approached fifty years of age when he last cut communication; what did he expect? ~shrugs~ There will be no further contact attempts from our end and my brother said we're not missing anything.

    I wish you all the best, Pradeep, and absolutely no such excommunications in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - In my life also I have had experiences that I haven't been able to figure out. The reactions of some of my friends and relatives.

      Delete
  2. I am often bewildered by teens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The American pioneer Daniel Boone was quoted as saying, "I have never been lost but I was bewildered once for three days."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pradeep - I know I've been bewildered millions of times - one case in point ... can't think for now! I'm going to enjoy 'your emotions' - good choice - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find understanding how a plane works much easier than understanding people's emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how air conditioners cool, but no matter how much I read, I cannot understand how they heat. The spiel usually begins with 'takes warm air from the outside....' How? It is cold outside? What warm air is there? Bewildering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, somethings are simply beyond our comprehension!

      Delete
  7. Bewilderment... un mot qui sonne bien en anglais, il va falloir que je l'utilise plus souvent ! Ce qui me rend le plus perplexe : la cruauté ou la bêtise humaine.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.