Thursday, April 11, 2024

Jealousy

Theme: Emotions
We know this emotion isn't good, but let us accept that it does creep into our system at some point.

Jealousy is an emotion that is a fixture in many movies and soap operas.

Teenage is the time when it seems to strike us really hard.  

Jealousy is widely described as a response to perceived threats to valued relationships or possessions.

It could be a lover's affection, or a friend's closeness, or even a coveted position in our office.

This emotional state makes us insecure, and it leads us to do something to protect what we see as our own.

Though it can be destructive, psychologists say that if channelled properly, it can be a powerful motivator. It can push us to improve ourselves.

I am told there is something called "healthy" and "unhealthy" jealousy.  

Healthy jealousy recognises the threat but focuses on self-improvement. Unhealthy jealousy becomes possessive, leading to manipulation and control.  

Though considered a vice, it's not possible to totally insulate ourselves from jealousy. That is because it stems out of our social interactions, from our attachment to what we consider ours.

It is important to realise if this emotional J virus has crept into our minds. That is possible only through some form of introspection.

Since jealousy comes from extreme attachment, the only way out is to detach ourselves.

We have to learn the concept of 'let go'.

The feeling of jealousy has to be seized as an opportunity to moderate ourselves and guide us towards a deeper understanding of ourselves and our place in the relational world.

(I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterA2Z)

6 comments:

  1. I'm more likely to suffer envy than jealousy; and that extends to people with amazing flower and/or vegetable gardens. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are jealous of what you have. Some others because of what they don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I have the song "Hey Jealousy" stuck in my head...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an emotion very hard to control and surely all of us must have had jealous thoughts at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealousy is such a strong emotion and surprisingly we do not talk about it often

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was reading this post, I was thinking that sometimes, jealousy can help us better ourselves, and then I read your very next paragraph saying just that!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.