Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Nervousness

Theme: Emotions

Unpleasant but not uncommon.

It's a normal human response to a perceived challenge. 

Medical professionals say it's our body's way of facing a stressful situation by releasing hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones increase our heartbeat, breathing, blood flow, etc.

What are these stressful situations? 

Fear of something, uncertainty, uncomfortable social interactions, situations for which one is not ready, new or unfamiliar environments, overwhelming responsibilities or deadlines, etc.

Many people use nervousness as a trigger to be alert, focused and move forward with determination.

Nervousness is something that happens to everyone. Here are two anecdotes as mentioned in NBC's Today.

Sophia Loren's 1962 Oscar award for Two Women was the first time an actor had won for a foreign-language film. However, she was too nervous to attend the ceremony, later saying that she thought she'd faint if she actually won. Two weeks later, the award was given to her in her Rome apartment.

Mildred Pierce was Joan Crawford's comeback movie, but she was so nervous about the Academy Award ceremony in 1946 that she stayed home, claiming she was sick. As soon as she found out she'd won, she called her makeup team together to make sure she was camera-ready so she could pose with the Oscar.

Butterflies in your stomach? Maybe success is in the air!

(I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterA2Z)


9 comments:

  1. I definitely suffer social anxiety. ~nods~ A friend once urged me to join the Toastmasters Club to combat it but public speaking isn't something that interests me. lol Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nervous is my middle name... And once i start thinking about why i'm nervous i get more nervous. so maybe i'll be REALLY successful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nervousness and anxiety go so well together and there is little anyone can personally do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The worst nervousness? When you can't figure out what's making you nervous. I hate that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does happen to everyone at some point.
    Great post!
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”
    ― Robert Louis Stevenson #quote
    Hope you're enjoying the A to Z Challenge.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of us just call nervousness a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suffer from anxiety, so I get nervous and I don't even know WHY.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.